Types of Degrees Interdisciplinary Studies Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many interdisciplinary studies graduations there were in 2017-2018 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Interdisciplinary Studies Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, interdisciplinary studies majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Interdisciplinary Studies Majors
Interdisciplinary Studies majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
Skills for Interdisciplinary Studies Majors
interdisciplinary studies majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of interdisciplinary studies majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||1,074|
|Hispanic or Latino||699|
Students from other countries are interested in Interdisciplinary Studies, too. About 2.0% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- South Korea
Bachelor’s Degree Starting Salary
The median starting salary of students who graduated in 2015-2017 with a bachelor’s degree in interdisciplinary studies was $28,900 per year. These stats come from the U.S. Department of Education. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $27,200 (25th percentile) and $32,200 (75th percentile).
It is possible that some of these people may have taken positions that were not related to interdisciplinary studies.
Online Interdisciplinary Studies Programs
In the 2017-2018 academic year, 266 schools offered some type of interdisciplinary studies program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||7||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||1||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||7||1|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Majors Related to Interdisciplinary Studies
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to interdisciplinary studies.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Other Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies||34,540|
|Biological & Physical Science||27,751|
|Peace Studies & Conflict Resolution||1,297|
|Human Computer Interaction||1,146|
|Science, Technology & Society||1,060|
|Mathematics & Computer Science||833|
|Multicultural & Diversity Studies||416|
|Classical & Ancient Studies||315|
|Cultural Studies & Analysis||236|
|Accounting & Computer Science||45|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By UTDallas under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|