Accounting & Computer Science
Types of Degrees Accounting & Computer Science Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many accounting and computer science graduations there were in 2017-2018 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Accounting & Computer Science Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, accounting and compsci majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Accounting & CompSci Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Skills for Accounting & CompSci Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to accounting and compsci:
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Abilities for Accounting & CompSci Majors
As a accounting and compsci major, you will find yourself needing the following abilities:
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
What Can You Do With a Accounting & Computer Science Major?
People with a accounting and compsci degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Business Intelligence Analysts||9.3%||$90,270|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting & Computer Science?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of accounting and compsci majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||1|
|Hispanic or Latino||1|
How Much Do Accounting & Computer Science Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Accounting and Compsci majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $78,820 to $93,350 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Accounting & Computer Science
Some careers associated with accounting and compsci require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
Find out what the typical degree level is for accounting and compsci careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Some College Courses||20.5%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||6.9%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||4.1%|
Online Accounting & Computer Science Programs
In the 2017-2018 academic year, 14 schools offered some type of accounting and computer science program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||5||1|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||1||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Accounting & Computer Science Worth It?
The median salary for a accounting and compsci grad is $78,820 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 98% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $778,400 after 20 years!
Majors Related to Accounting & Computer Science
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to accounting and compsci.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Other Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies||34,540|
|Biological & Physical Science||27,751|
|Peace Studies & Conflict Resolution||1,297|
|Human Computer Interaction||1,146|
|Science, Technology & Society||1,060|
|Mathematics & Computer Science||833|
|Multicultural & Diversity Studies||416|
|Classical & Ancient Studies||315|
|Cultural Studies & Analysis||236|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Nick Youngson under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
Featured Accounting / Finance Schools
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|