What is a Data Entry Keyer?
Career Description Operate data entry device, such as keyboard or photo composing perforator. Duties may include verifying data and preparing materials for printing.
List of Data Entry Keyer Job Duties
- Read source documents such as canceled checks, sales reports, or bills, and enter data in specific data fields or onto tapes or disks for subsequent entry, using keyboards or scanners.
- Compile, sort, and verify the accuracy of data before it is entered.
- Maintain logs of activities and completed work.
- Compare data with source documents, or re-enter data in verification format to detect errors.
- Locate and correct data entry errors, or report them to supervisors.
- Resolve garbled or indecipherable messages, using cryptographic procedures and equipment.
What Skills Do You Need to Work as a Data Entry Keyer?
Data Entry Keyers state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Monitoring: Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Time Management: Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Related Job Titles
- Teletype or Varitype Keyboard Operator
- Teletypewriter Operator
- Claims Support Specialist
- KST Operator (Key Station Terminal Operator)
What Kind of Data Entry Keyer Job Opportunities Are There?
There were about 203,800 jobs for Data Entry Keyer in 2016 (in the United States). There is little to no growth in job opportunities for Data Entry Keyer. The BLS estimates 16,800 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Data Entry Keyer are Alaska, Maryland, and Colorado. Watch out if you plan on working in Maine, New Jersey, or Ohio. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
What is the Average Salary of a Data Entry Keyer
Data Entry Keyers make between $22,460 and $48,010 a year.
Data Entry Keyers who work in District of Columbia, Connecticut, or New Jersey, make the highest salaries.
How much do Data Entry Keyers make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$43,290|
What Tools & Technology do Data Entry Keyers Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Data Entry Keyers:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Access
- Data entry software
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Google Docs
- FileMaker Pro
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Google Drive
- Medical procedure coding software
- Microsoft Dynamics GP
- Sage 50 Accounting
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Blackbaud The Raiser’s Edge
- Medical condition coding software
- Electronic medical record EMR software
How do I Become a Data Entry Keyer?
What education is needed to be a Data Entry Keyer?
What work experience do I need to become a Data Entry Keyer?
Data Entry Keyers Sector
Data Entry Keyers work in the following industries:
Those who work as a Data Entry Keyer sometimes switch careers to one of these choices:
Image Credit: Jace Armstrong via public domain
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|