Types of Degrees Data Entry Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many data entry graduations there were in 2017-2018 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Data Entry Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to data entry were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Data Entry Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
Skills for Data Entry Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to data entry:
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Time Management - Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
Abilities for Data Entry Majors
A major in data entry will prepare for your careers in which the following abilities are important:
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Speech Recognition - The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Finger Dexterity - The ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very small objects.
How Much Do Data Entry Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Data Entry majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $33,740 to $41,160 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Data Entry
Some degrees associated with data entry may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to data entry have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||1.2%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||53.5%|
|Some College Courses||39.6%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||6.2%|
Online Data Entry Programs
In 2017-2018, 151 schools offered a data entry program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||119||21|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||50||2|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Data Entry Worth It?
The median salary for a data entry grad is $33,740 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
Majors Related to Data Entry
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to data entry.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Computer Information Systems||74,454|
|Computer Systems Networking||13,791|
|Computer Software & Applications||11,900|
|Computer Systems Analysis||2,655|
|Other Computer & Information Sciences||1,303|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Ysangkok under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
Featured Data Management Schools
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|