Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Drama & Theater Arts at Northwestern University

Find Schools Near

Drama & Theater Arts at Northwestern University

Every drama and theater arts school has its own distinct culture and strengths. We've pulled together some statistics and other details to help you see how the theater program at Northwestern University stacks up to those at other schools.

Northwestern is located in Evanston, Illinois and approximately 22,448 students attend the school each year. In the 2018-2019 academic year, 104 students received a bachelor's degree in theater from Northwestern.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Drama & Theater Arts section at the bottom of this page.

Northwestern Drama & Theater Arts Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Theater
  • Master’s Degree in Theater
  • Doctorate Degree in Theater

Northwestern Drama & Theater Arts Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the theater progam at Northwestern compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: Although rankings can help you see some information about a school, it's not a good idea to depend on them alone. Be sure to check out other things about the school before making your decision to attend.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The theater major at Northwestern is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Drama & Theater Arts. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Focused Drama & Theater Arts Bachelor’s Degree Schools 185

In 2019, 19 students received their master’s degree in theater from Northwestern. This makes it the #24 most popular school for theater master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 6 students who received their doctoral degrees in theater, making the school the #2 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Earnings of Northwestern Theater Graduates

The median salary of theater students who receive their bachelor's degree at Northwestern is $20,600. This is 2% higher than $20,100, which is the national average for all theater bachelor's degree recipients.

undefined

Theater Student Demographics at Northwestern

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the theater majors at Northwestern University.

Northwestern Drama & Theater Arts Bachelor’s Program

59% Women
23% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The theater program at Northwestern awarded 104 bachelor's degrees in 2018-2019. About 41% of these degrees went to men with the other 59% going to women. The typical theater bachelor's degree program is made up of only 38% men. So male students are more repesented at Northwestern since its program graduates 3% more men than average.

Northwestern Gender Breakdown of Drama & Theater Arts Bachelor's Degree Grads

About 66% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in theater at Northwestern are white. This is above average for this degree on the nationwide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Northwestern University with a bachelor's in theater.

Racial-Ethnic Diversity of Drama & Theater Arts Majors at Northwestern University
Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 2
Black or African American 3
Hispanic or Latino 10
White 69
International Students 2
Other Races/Ethnicities 18

Northwestern Drama & Theater Arts Master’s Program

42% Women
26% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 19 students earned a master's degree in theater from Northwestern. About 42% of these graduates were women and the other 58% were men. Nationwide, master's degree programs only see 38% men graduate in theater each year. Northwestern does a better job at serving the male population as it supports 20% more men than average.

Northwestern Gender Breakdown of Drama & Theater Arts Master's Degree Grads

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Northwestern University with a master's in theater.

Racial-Ethnic Diversity of Drama & Theater Arts Majors at Northwestern University
Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 2
Hispanic or Latino 2
White 7
International Students 5
Other Races/Ethnicities 3

Northwestern also has a doctoral program available in theater. In 2019, 6 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Theater Grads May Go Into

A degree in theater can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for IL, the home state for Northwestern University.

Occupation Jobs in IL Average Salary in IL
Art, Drama, and Music Professors 3,940 $68,360
Producers and Directors 2,950 $77,960
Writers and Authors 1,880 $68,710

References

*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.