What Do Telemarketer Do?
Career Description Solicit donations or orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Explain products or services and prices, and answer questions from customers.
- Contact businesses or private individuals by telephone to solicit sales for goods or services, or to request donations for charitable causes.
- Record names, addresses, purchases, and reactions of prospects contacted.
- Obtain names and telephone numbers of potential customers from sources such as telephone directories, magazine reply cards, and lists purchased from other organizations.
- Obtain customer information such as name, address, and payment method, and enter orders into computers.
- Adjust sales scripts to better target the needs and interests of specific individuals.
What Skills Do You Need to Work as a Telemarketer?
Below is a list of the skills most Telemarketers say are important on the job.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Persuasion: Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Service Orientation: Actively looking for ways to help people.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Types of Telemarketer Jobs
- Business Development Representative
- Sales Specialist
- Telemarketing Representative
- Inside Sales Representative
- Call Center Agent
Job Outlook for Telemarketers
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 216,600 jobs in the United States for Telemarketer. There is little to no growth in job opportunities for Telemarketer. The BLS estimates 33,300 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Telemarketer are Washington, Nevada, and Tennessee. Watch out if you plan on working in North Dakota, Vermont, or South Dakota. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
How Much Does a Telemarketer Make?
Telemarketers make between $18,680 and $41,740 a year.
Telemarketers who work in Washington, Massachusetts, or New Hampshire, make the highest salaries.
How much do Telemarketers make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$28,680|
What Tools & Technology do Telemarketers Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Telemarketers may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Dynamics
How do I Become a Telemarketer?
What education or degrees do I need to become a Telemarketer?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Telemarketer?
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|