All About Telemarketers
Telemarketer Definition Solicit donations or orders for goods or services over the telephone.
List of Telemarketer Job Duties
- Contact businesses or private individuals by telephone to solicit sales for goods or services, or to request donations for charitable causes.
- Telephone or write letters to respond to correspondence from customers or to follow up initial sales contacts.
- Explain products or services and prices, and answer questions from customers.
- Obtain customer information such as name, address, and payment method, and enter orders into computers.
- Conduct client or market surveys to obtain information about potential customers.
- Adjust sales scripts to better target the needs and interests of specific individuals.
Telemarketers state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Persuasion: Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Service Orientation: Actively looking for ways to help people.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Types of Telemarketer Jobs
- Outbound Telemarketer
- Appointment Setter
- Telephone Solicitor
- Telephone Service Representative (TSR)
- Business Development Representative
What Kind of Telemarketer Job Opportunities Are There?
In the United States, there were 216,600 jobs for Telemarketer in 2016. There is little to no growth in job opportunities for Telemarketer. There will be an estimated 33,300 positions for Telemarketer per year.
The states with the most job growth for Telemarketer are Washington, Nevada, and Tennessee. Watch out if you plan on working in North Dakota, Vermont, or South Dakota. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Average Telemarketers Salary
The average yearly salary of a Telemarketer ranges between $18,680 and $41,740.
Telemarketers who work in Washington, Massachusetts, or New Hampshire, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Telemarketers in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$28,680|
What Tools & Technology do Telemarketers Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Telemarketers:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Dynamics
How to Become a Telemarketer
Learn what Telemarketer education requirements there are.
How Long Does it Take to Become a Telemarketer?
Where Telemarketers Are Employed
Telemarketers work in the following industries:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|