All About Advertising Sales Agents
Advertising Sales Agent Job Description Sell or solicit advertising space, time, or media in publications, signage, TV, radio, or the Internet. Includes individuals who obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailers to use sales promotion display items.
Life As an Advertising Sales Agent
- Consult with company officials, sales departments, and advertising agencies to develop promotional plans.
- Identify new advertising markets and propose products to serve them.
- Write sales outlines for use by staff.
- Attend sales meetings, industry trade shows, and training seminars to gather information, promote products, expand network of contacts, and increase knowledge.
- Prepare and deliver sales presentations to new and existing customers to sell new advertising programs and to protect and increase existing advertising.
- Inform customers of available options for advertisement artwork and provide samples.
What an Advertising Sales Agent Should Know
When polled, Advertising Sales Agents say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Persuasion: Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Service Orientation: Actively looking for ways to help people.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Negotiation: Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
Other Advertising Sales Agent Job Titles
- Time Buyer
- Account Leader
- Signs and Displays Sales Representative
- Sales Promotion Representative
- Inside Sales Representative
Are There Job Opportunities for Advertising Sales Agents?
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 149,900 jobs in the United States for Advertising Sales Agent. There is little to no growth in job opportunities for Advertising Sales Agent. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 17,700 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Advertising Sales Agent are Washington, Tennessee, and Utah. Watch out if you plan on working in Maine, Wisconsin, or Alaska. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Do Advertising Sales Agents Make A Lot Of Money?
The typical yearly salary for Advertising Sales Agents is somewhere between $24,670 and $114,810.
Advertising Sales Agents who work in New Jersey, Connecticut, or New York, make the highest salaries.
How much do Advertising Sales Agents make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$77,870|
Tools & Technologies Used by Advertising Sales Agents
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Advertising Sales Agents:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Email software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Microsoft Publisher
- FileMaker Pro
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- Salesforce software
- Customer relationship management CRM software
- Google AdWords
- Contact management software
How to Become an Advertising Sales Agent
Learn what Advertising Sales Agent education requirements there are.
What work experience do I need to become an Advertising Sales Agent?
Where Advertising Sales Agents Work
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
Those thinking about becoming an Advertising Sales Agent might also be interested in the following careers:
- Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
- Meeting, Convention, and Event Planners
Are you already one of the many Advertising Sales Agent in the United States? If you’re thinking about changing careers, these fields are worth exploring:
Image Credit: Nick Nijhuis via Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0)
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|