What You Need to Know About Solar Energy Systems Engineer
Solar Energy Systems Engineer Job Description Perform site-specific engineering analysis or evaluation of energy efficiency and solar projects involving residential, commercial, or industrial customers. Design solar domestic hot water and space heating systems for new and existing structures, applying knowledge of structural energy requirements, local climates, solar technology, and thermodynamics.
List of Solar Energy Systems Engineer Job Duties
- Test or evaluate photovoltaic (PV) cells or modules.
- Provide technical direction or support to installation teams during installation, start-up, testing, system commissioning, or performance monitoring.
- Conduct engineering site audits to collect structural, electrical, and related site information for use in the design of residential or commercial solar power systems.
- Design or develop vacuum tube collector systems for solar applications.
- Develop design specifications and functional requirements for residential, commercial, or industrial solar energy systems or components.
- Perform computer simulation of solar photovoltaic (PV) generation system performance or energy production to optimize efficiency.
What a Solar Energy Systems Engineer Should Know
Solar Energy Systems Engineers state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Other Solar Energy Systems Engineer Job Titles
- Distributed Energy Systems Consultant
- Energy Systems Laboratory Director
- Renewable Energy Leader
- Solar Mechanical Engineer
- Solar Performance Engineer
Is There Going to be Demand for Solar Energy Systems Engineers?
There were about 132,500 jobs for Solar Energy Systems Engineer in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 6.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 8,500 new jobs for Solar Energy Systems Engineer by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 9,500 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Solar Energy Systems Engineer are Nevada, Utah, and North Dakota. Watch out if you plan on working in Alaska, Minnesota, or Vermont. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
How Much Does a Solar Energy Systems Engineer Make?
The average yearly salary of a Solar Energy Systems Engineer ranges between $50,750 and $155,650.
Solar Energy Systems Engineers who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Solar Energy Systems Engineers in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$132,530|
What Tools do Solar Energy Systems Engineers Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Solar Energy Systems Engineers:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Access
- Data visualization software
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft Visio
- Structured query language SQL
- Database software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Supervisory control and data acquisition SCADA software
Becoming a Solar Energy Systems Engineer
What education is needed to be a Solar Energy Systems Engineer?
How many years of work experience do I need?
Who Employs Solar Energy Systems Engineers?
Solar Energy Systems Engineers work in the following industries:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|