What is a Solar Energy Systems Engineer?
Solar Energy Systems Engineer Definition Perform site-specific engineering analysis or evaluation of energy efficiency and solar projects involving residential, commercial, or industrial customers. Design solar domestic hot water and space heating systems for new and existing structures, applying knowledge of structural energy requirements, local climates, solar technology, and thermodynamics.
Solar Energy Systems Engineer Responsibilities
- Conduct engineering site audits to collect structural, electrical, and related site information for use in the design of residential or commercial solar power systems.
- Develop design specifications and functional requirements for residential, commercial, or industrial solar energy systems or components.
- Design or develop vacuum tube collector systems for solar applications.
- Design or coordinate design of photovoltaic (PV) or solar thermal systems, including system components, for residential and commercial buildings.
- Create electrical single-line diagrams, panel schedules, or connection diagrams for solar electric systems, using computer-aided design (CAD) software.
- Review specifications and recommend engineering or manufacturing changes to achieve solar design objectives.
Skills Needed to be a Solar Energy Systems Engineer
These are the skills Solar Energy Systems Engineers say are the most useful in their careers:
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Related Job Titles
- Solar Photovoltaic Engineer
- Solar Professional Engineer
- Solar Array Engineer
- Distributed Energy Systems Consultant
- Solar Energy Systems Designer
Is There Going to be Demand for Solar Energy Systems Engineers?
There were about 132,500 jobs for Solar Energy Systems Engineer in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 6.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 8,500 new jobs for Solar Energy Systems Engineer by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 9,500 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Solar Energy Systems Engineer are Nevada, Utah, and North Dakota. Watch out if you plan on working in Alaska, Minnesota, or Vermont. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
How Much Does a Solar Energy Systems Engineer Make?
The salary for Solar Energy Systems Engineers ranges between about $50,750 and $155,650 a year.
Solar Energy Systems Engineers who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia, make the highest salaries.
How much do Solar Energy Systems Engineers make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$132,530|
What Tools & Technology do Solar Energy Systems Engineers Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Solar Energy Systems Engineers may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Access
- Data visualization software
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft Visio
- Structured query language SQL
- Database software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Supervisory control and data acquisition SCADA software
How do I Become a Solar Energy Systems Engineer?
What kind of Solar Energy Systems Engineer requirements are there?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Solar Energy Systems Engineer?
Solar Energy Systems Engineers Sector
Below are examples of industries where Solar Energy Systems Engineers work:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|