What Do Prepress Technician Do?
Example of Prepress Technician Job Format and proof text and images submitted by designers and clients into finished pages that can be printed. Includes digital and photo typesetting. May produce printing plates.
Life As a Prepress Technician: What Do They Do?
- Select proper types of plates according to press run lengths.
- Activate scanners to produce positive or negative films for the black-and-white, cyan, yellow, and magenta separations from each original copy.
- Enter, store, and retrieve information on computer-aided equipment.
- Generate prepress proofs in digital or other format to approximate the appearance of the final printed piece.
- Operate presses to print proofs of plates, monitoring printing quality to ensure that it is adequate.
- Operate and maintain laser plate-making equipment that converts electronic data to plates without the use of film.
What Every Prepress Technician Should Know
When polled, Prepress Technicians say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Time Management: Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Monitoring: Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Related Job Titles for this Occupation:
- Head Setter
- Negative Assembler
- Color Separation Photographer
Job Opportunities for Prepress Technicians
There were about 34,600 jobs for Prepress Technician in 2016 (in the United States). There is little to no growth in job opportunities for Prepress Technician. The BLS estimates 3,000 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Prepress Technician are Idaho, Maryland, and Nevada. Watch out if you plan on working in Kentucky, Kansas, or North Dakota. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Do Prepress Technicians Make A Lot Of Money?
The average yearly salary of a Prepress Technician ranges between $24,940 and $62,420.
Prepress Technicians who work in District of Columbia, New Jersey, or Delaware, make the highest salaries.
How much do Prepress Technicians make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$84,120|
What Tools & Technology do Prepress Technicians Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Prepress Technicians may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- Web browser software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Systems Adobe Flash
- Corel CorelDraw Graphics Suite
- Adobe Systems Adobe PageMaker
- Adobe Systems Adobe FreeHand
- Adobe Systems Adobe FrameMaker
- Corel Painter
- Adobe Systems Adobe Director
- File transfer protocol FTP software
- Adobe Systems Adobe LifeCycle Enterprise Suite
How do I Become a Prepress Technician?
What kind of Prepress Technician requirements are there?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Prepress Technician?
Who Employs Prepress Technicians?
Below are examples of industries where Prepress Technicians work:
Other Jobs You May be Interested In
Are you already one of the many Prepress Technician in the United States? If you’re thinking about changing careers, these fields are worth exploring:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|