What You Need to Know About Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers
Camera & Photographic Equipment Repairer Job Description Repair and adjust cameras and photographic equipment, including commercial video and motion picture camera equipment.
A Day in the Life of a Camera & Photographic Equipment Repairer
- Recommend design changes or upgrades of microfilming, film-developing, or photographic equipment.
- Fabricate or modify defective electronic, electrical, or mechanical components, using bench lathe, milling machine, shaper, grinder, or precision hand tools, according to specifications.
- Adjust cameras, photographic mechanisms, or equipment such as range and view finders, shutters, light meters, or lens systems, using hand tools.
- Calibrate and verify accuracy of light meters, shutter diaphragm operation, or lens carriers, using timing instruments.
- Install electrical assemblies and wiring in aircraft camera housings and memory cards or film in cameras, following blueprints and using hand tools and soldering equipment.
- Record test data and document fabrication techniques on reports.
Skills Needed to be a Camera & Photographic Equipment Repairer
When polled, Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Troubleshooting: Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
Repairing: Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Equipment Maintenance: Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
Quality Control Analysis: Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Types of Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers
- Camera Repairer
- Photographic Technician (Photo Tech)
- Equipment Installation Professional
- Camera Repair Specialist
- Computerized Photofinishing Equipment Service Technician
Job Demand for Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers
There were about 4,000 jobs for Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers in 2016 (in the United States).
New jobs are being produced at a rate of 2.3% which is lower than average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 100 new jobs for Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 400 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers are Georgia, Indiana, and Maryland.
Watch out if you plan on working in Illinois, Washington, or Pennsylvania. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Average Camera & Photographic Equipment Repairer Salary
The typical yearly salary for Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers is somewhere between $24,710 and $62,300. The median salary for this occupation is $40,620.
How much do Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
What Tools & Technology do Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Word
- Data entry software
How to Become a Camera & Photographic Equipment Repairer
What education or degrees do I need to become a Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairer?
How many years of work experience do I need?
Who Employs Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers?
Image Credit: Via Wikimedia Commons