What is a Multimedia Artist or Animator?
Position Description Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, computers, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, music videos, and commercials.
Life As a Multimedia Artist or Animator
- Implement and maintain configuration control systems.
- Script, plan, and create animated narrative sequences under tight deadlines, using computer software and hand drawing techniques.
- Apply story development, directing, cinematography, and editing to animation to create storyboards that show the flow of the animation and map out key scenes and characters.
- Assemble, typeset, scan and produce digital camera-ready art or film negatives and printer’s proofs.
- Convert real objects to animated objects through modeling, using techniques such as optical scanning.
- Develop briefings, brochures, multimedia presentations, web pages, promotional products, technical illustrations, and computer artwork for use in products, technical manuals, literature, newsletters, and slide shows.
What Every Multimedia Artist or Animator Should Know
Multimedia Artists and Animators state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Types of Multimedia Artist or Animator Jobs
- Production Manager
- Graphic Artist
- Multimedia Designer
- 3D Designer (Three-dimensional Designer)
Are There Job Opportunities for Multimedia Artists and Animators?
There were about 73,700 jobs for Multimedia Artist or Animator in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 8.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 6,200 new jobs for Multimedia Artist or Animator by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 6,600 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Multimedia Artist or Animator are Utah, Washington, and Georgia. Watch out if you plan on working in South Dakota, Rhode Island, or North Dakota. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
How Much Does a Multimedia Artist or Animator Make?
The average yearly salary of a Multimedia Artist or Animator ranges between $40,870 and $124,310.
Multimedia Artists and Animators who work in Connecticut, Washington, or District of Columbia, make the highest salaries.
How much do Multimedia Artists and Animators make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$89,210|
What Tools & Technology do Multimedia Artists and Animators Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Multimedia Artists and Animators may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Hypertext Markup Language HTML
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Windows
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft Visio
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Extensible Markup Language XML
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- PHP: Hypertext preprocessor
- Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
Becoming a Multimedia Artist or Animator
What education is needed to be a Multimedia Artist or Animator?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Multimedia Artist or Animator?
Multimedia Artists and Animators Sector
Multimedia Artists and Animators work in the following industries:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|