What is a Fitness and Wellness Coordinator?
Fitness & Wellness Coordinator Job Description Manage or coordinate fitness and wellness programs and services. Manage and train staff of wellness specialists, health educators, or fitness instructors.
Daily Life Of a Fitness & Wellness Coordinator
- Maintain or arrange for maintenance of fitness equipment or facilities.
- Prepare or implement budgets and strategic, operational, purchasing, or maintenance plans.
- Supervise fitness or wellness specialists, such as fitness instructors, nutritionists, or health educators.
- Respond to customer, public, or media requests for information about wellness programs or services.
- Develop fitness or wellness classes, such as yoga, aerobics, strength training, or aquatics, ensuring a diversity of class offerings.
- Conduct or facilitate training sessions or seminars for wellness and fitness staff.
What a Fitness & Wellness Coordinator Should Know
These are the skills Fitness and Wellness Coordinators say are the most useful in their careers:
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Coordination: Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Types of Fitness and Wellness Coordinator
- Group Fitness Manager (GFM)
- Campus Wellness Coordinator
- Sports, Fitness, and Wellness Director
- Wellness Manager
- County Public Health Wellness Coordinator
Is There Job Demand for Fitness and Wellness Coordinators?
There were about 38,400 jobs for Fitness and Wellness Coordinator in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 10.7% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 4,100 new jobs for Fitness and Wellness Coordinator by 2026. There will be an estimated 3,400 positions for Fitness & Wellness Coordinator per year.
The states with the most job growth for Fitness & Wellness Coordinator are Utah, Nevada, and New York. Watch out if you plan on working in Vermont, South Dakota, or Rhode Island. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Fitness & Wellness Coordinator Salary
Fitness and Wellness Coordinators make between $44,130 and $141,000 a year.
Fitness and Wellness Coordinators who work in District of Columbia, Virginia, or Maryland, make the highest salaries.
How much do Fitness and Wellness Coordinators make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$105,730|
What Tools & Technology do Fitness and Wellness Coordinators Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Fitness and Wellness Coordinators:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
- Data entry software
- Email software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft Publisher
- Work scheduling software
- Payroll software
Becoming a Fitness & Wellness Coordinator
Education needed to be a Fitness and Wellness Coordinator:
How many years of work experience do I need?
Fitness and Wellness Coordinators Sector
Fitness and Wellness Coordinators work in the following industries:
Image Credit: Shai-WMIL via Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International
More about our data sources and methodologies.