What is a Sports Medicine Physician?
Sports Medicine Physician Definition Diagnose, treat, and help prevent injuries that occur during sporting events, athletic training, and physical activities.
List of Sports Medicine Physician Job Duties
- Examine and evaluate athletes prior to participation in sports activities to determine level of physical fitness or predisposition to injuries.
- Inform athletes about nutrition, hydration, dietary supplements, or uses and possible consequences of medication.
- Coordinate sports care activities with other experts including specialty physicians and surgeons, athletic trainers, physical therapists, or coaches.
- Select and prepare medical equipment or medications to be taken to athletic competition sites.
- Order and interpret the results of laboratory tests and diagnostic imaging procedures.
- Participate in continuing education activities to improve and maintain knowledge and skills.
What Every Sports Medicine Physician Should Know
When polled, Sports Medicine Physicians say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Monitoring: Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Types of Sports Medicine Physician Jobs
- Head Orthopedic Team Physician
- Co-Director of Sports Medicine and Team Physician
- Orthopaedic Surgeon, Orthopaedic Consultant
- Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Physician, Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine
Is There Going to be Demand for Sports Medicine Physicians?
In the United States, there were 372,400 jobs for Sports Medicine Physician in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 11.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 42,300 new jobs for Sports Medicine Physician by 2026. There will be an estimated 14,300 positions for Sports Medicine Physician per year.
The states with the most job growth for Sports Medicine Physician are Arizona, Alaska, and Utah. Watch out if you plan on working in Connecticut, Rhode Island, or Illinois. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Salary for a Sports Medicine Physician
Sports Medicine Physicians make between $60,280 and $208,000 a year.
Sports Medicine Physicians who work in Alaska, Arizona, or Colorado, make the highest salaries.
How much do Sports Medicine Physicians make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$182,910|
Tools & Technologies Used by Sports Medicine Physicians
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Sports Medicine Physicians may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Web browser software
- Email software
- Bizmatics PrognoCIS EMR
- Greenway Medical Technologies PrimeSUITE
- GalacTek ECLIPSE
- Benchmark Systems Benchmark Clinical EHR
- Epic Practice Management
- GE Healthcare Centricity Practice Solution
- Cerner PowerWorks Practice Management
- CareCloud Central
- Automatic Data Processing AdvancedMD EHR
- IOS Health Systems Medios EHR
- Kareo Practice Management
- McKesson Practice Plus
- Modernizing Medicine Practice Management
- NextGen Healthcare NextGen Practice Management
- Vitera Healthcare Solutions Vitera Intergy
How to Become a Sports Medicine Physician
Learn what Sports Medicine Physician education requirements there are.
What work experience do I need to become a Sports Medicine Physician?
Where Sports Medicine Physicians Work
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
Featured Athletic Training Schools
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|