General Sales & Marketing
Types of Degrees General Sales & Marketing Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many general sales and marketing graduations there were in 2017-2018 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What General Sales & Marketing Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to sales and marketing were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Sales & Marketing Majors
Sales and Marketing majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Skills for Sales & Marketing Majors
A major in sales and marketing prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Abilities for Sales & Marketing Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a sales and marketing student include the following:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Speech Recognition - The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
What Can You Do With a General Sales & Marketing Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with sales and marketing:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Demonstrators and Product Promoters||6.5%||$28,960|
|First-Line Supervisors of Non-Retail Sales Workers||4.9%||$73,390|
|First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers||3.8%||$39,630|
|Sales and Related Workers||10.6%||$33,220|
|Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products||5.2%||$58,510|
|Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products||5.2%||$79,680|
|Solar Sales Representatives and Assessors||5.2%||$79,680|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in General Sales & Marketing?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of sales and marketing majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||174|
|Hispanic or Latino||300|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Sales & Marketing. About 4.4% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
How Much Do General Sales & Marketing Majors Make?
Bachelor’s Degree Starting Salary
The U.S. Department of Education found that students who graduated in 2015-2017 with a bachelor’s degree in general sales and marketing made a median starting salary of $40,450 per year. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $32,900 (25th percentile) and $48,725 (75th percentile).
It is possible that some of these people may have taken positions that were not related to sales and marketing.
Salaries According to BLS
Sales and Marketing majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $40,480 to $69,480 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to General Sales & Marketing
Some degrees associated with sales and marketing may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
Find out what the typical degree level is for sales and marketing careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||5.1%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||28.8%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||5.8%|
|Some College Courses||11.2%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||10.3%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||1.3%|
|Post-Master’s Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Master’s degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees at the doctoral level.||0.1%|
Online General Sales & Marketing Programs
In 2017-2018, 364 schools offered a sales and marketing program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||191||31|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||107||12|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||3||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in General Sales & Marketing Worth It?
The median salary for a sales and marketing grad is $45,080 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 13% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $103,600 after 20 years!
Majors Related to General Sales & Marketing
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to sales and marketing.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Business Administration & Management||399,810|
|Finance & Financial Management||56,960|
|Human Resource Management||26,853|
|Business Support & Assistant Services||19,248|
|Management Sciences & Quantitative Methods||18,282|
|Management Information Systems||14,578|
|Specialized Sales, Merchandising & Marketing||6,711|
|Other Business, Management & Marketing||5,750|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Nick Nijhuis under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
Featured Retail and Sales Schools
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|