Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Design & Applied Arts at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Find Schools Near

Design & Applied Arts at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

If you are interested in studying design and applied arts, you may want to check out the program at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The following information will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

RPI is located in Troy, New York and approximately 7,501 students attend the school each year. In 2021, 24 design majors received their bachelor's degree from RPI.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Design & Applied Arts section at the bottom of this page.

RPI Design & Applied Arts Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Design
  • Master’s Degree in Design

RPI Design & Applied Arts Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the design progam at RPI compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: Although rankings can help you see some information about a school, it's not a good idea to depend on them alone. Be sure to check out other things about the school before making your decision to attend.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The design major at RPI is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Design & Applied Arts. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Design & Applied Arts Bachelor’s Degree Schools 16

In 2021, 5 students received their master’s degree in design from RPI. This makes it the #69 most popular school for design master’s degree candidates in the country.

How Much Do Design Graduates from RPI Make?

The median salary of design students who receive their bachelor's degree at RPI is $46,471. This is great news for graduates of the program, since this figure is 42% higher than the national average of $32,733 for all design bachelor's degree recipients.


Design Student Demographics at RPI

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the design majors at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

RPI Design & Applied Arts Bachelor’s Program

21% Women
25% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The design program at RPI awarded 24 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 79% of these degrees went to men with the other 21% going to women. The typical design bachelor's degree program is made up of only 32% men. So male students are more repesented at RPI since its program graduates 47% more men than average.


About 67% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in design at RPI are white. This is above average for this degree on the nationwide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with a bachelor's in design.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 4
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 16
International Students 1
Other Races/Ethnicities 3

RPI Design & Applied Arts Master’s Program

20% Women
40% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 5 students earned a master's degree in design from RPI. About 20% of these graduates were women and the other 80% were men. Nationwide, master's degree programs only see 32% men graduate in design each year. RPI does a better job at serving the male population as it supports 48% more men than average.


In the design master's program at this school, racial-ethnic minorities make up 40% of degree recipients. That is 4% better than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with a master's in design.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 1
International Students 2
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

RPI also has a doctoral program available in design. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Design Grads May Go Into

A degree in design can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for NY, the home state for Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Occupation Jobs in NY Average Salary in NY
Graphic Designers 21,350 $64,840
Art, Drama, and Music Professors 11,530 $99,870
Art Directors 8,320 $124,710
Fashion Designers 7,550 $95,830
Professors 6,440 $112,000


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.