What You Need to Know About Art Director
Job Description: Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches for visual communications media, such as print, broadcasting, and advertising. Direct workers engaged in art work or layout design.
Art Director Responsibilities
- Create custom illustrations or other graphic elements.
- Manage own accounts and projects, working within budget and scheduling requirements.
- Negotiate with printers and estimators to determine what services will be performed.
- Present final layouts to clients for approval.
- Attend photo shoots and printing sessions to ensure that the products needed are obtained.
- Formulate basic layout design or presentation approach and specify material details, such as style and size of type, photographs, graphics, animation, video, and sound.
Things an Art Director Should Know How to Do
When polled, Art Directors say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Time Management: Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Related Job Titles for this Occupation:
- Product Designer
- Creative Director
- Creative/Art Director
- Exec. Creative Director
- Creative Services Designer
What Kind of Art Director Job Opportunities Are There?
There were about 90,300 jobs for Art Director in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 5.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 4,900 new jobs for Art Director by 2026. There will be an estimated 7,700 positions for Art Director per year.
The states with the most job growth for Art Director are Washington, Utah, and Oregon. Watch out if you plan on working in Maine, Vermont, or West Virginia. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
How Much Does an Art Director Make?
The salary for Art Directors ranges between about $52,160 and $172,570 a year.
Art Directors who work in California, New York, or New Mexico, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Art Directors in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$78,270|
What Tools & Technology do Art Directors Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Art Directors:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Hypertext markup language HTML
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Data visualization software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
- Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
- Adobe Systems Adobe Flash
- Apple Final Cut Pro
- Apple macOS
How to Become an Art Director
Individuals working as an Art Director have obtained the following education levels:
How many years of work experience do I need?
Art Directors Sector
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|