What Do Architecture Professors Do?
Architecture Professor Job Description Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
A Day in the Life of an Architecture Professor
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as architectural design methods, aesthetics and design, and structures and materials.
Qualities of an Architecture Professor
Below is a list of the skills most Architecture Professors say are important on the job.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Learning Strategies: Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Instructing: Teaching others how to do something.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Types of Architecture Professors
- College Professor
- Architectural Drafting Instructor
- Professor of Practice
- Adjunct Professor
Job Outlook for Architecture Professors
In the United States, there were 9,500 jobs for Architecture Professors in 2016.
New jobs are being produced at a rate of 10.6% which is lower than average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 1,000 new jobs for Architecture Professors by 2026. The BLS estimates 800 yearly job openings in this field per year.
The states with the most job growth for Architecture Professors are New York, Texas, and Massachusetts.
Watch out if you plan on working in Nebraska, Minnesota, or Maryland. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Architecture Professor Salary
The salary for Architecture Professors ranges between about $42,540 and $174,300 a year. The median salary for this occupation is $86,980.
How much do Architecture Professors make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
What Tools do Architecture Professors Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Architecture Professors:
- Microsoft Excel
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- McNeel Rhinoceros
- Trimble SketchUp Pro
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Autodesk Inventor
- Autodesk 3D Studio Design
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Word
Becoming an Architecture Professor
Education needed to be an Architecture Professor:
What work experience do I need to become an Architecture Professor?
Where Architecture Professors Are Employed
Other Jobs You May be Interested In
Are you already one of the many Architecture Professors in the United States? If you’re thinking about changing careers, these fields are worth exploring:
- Physics Postsecondary Professors
Image Credit: Via Wikimedia Commons