What Do Architect Do?
Architect Job Description Plan and design structures, such as private residences, office buildings, theaters, factories, and other structural property.
Daily Life Of an Architect
- Prepare information regarding design, structure specifications, materials, color, equipment, estimated costs, or construction time.
- Develop marketing materials, proposals, or presentation to generate new work opportunities.
- Create three-dimensional or interactive representations of designs, using computer assisted design software.
- Integrate engineering elements into unified architectural designs.
- Administer construction contracts.
- Develop final construction plans that include aesthetic representations of the structure or details for its construction.
Skills Needed to be an Architect
Below is a list of the skills most Architects say are important on the job.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Other Architect Job Titles
- Location Worker
- Architectural Project Manager
- Architectural Superintendent
- Building Architect
- Specifications Writer
Architect Job Outlook
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 128,800 jobs in the United States for Architect. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 4.2% which is below the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 5,400 new jobs for Architect by 2026. There will be an estimated 9,700 positions for Architect per year.
The states with the most job growth for Architect are Colorado, Utah, and Tennessee. Watch out if you plan on working in West Virginia, Mississippi, or Vermont. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
What is the Average Salary of an Architect
Architects make between $48,020 and $138,120 a year.
Architects who work in Massachusetts, Alaska, or District of Columbia, make the highest salaries.
How much do Architects make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$100,770|
What Tools do Architects Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Architects may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Access
- Data entry software
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Database software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Bentley MicroStation
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
How to Become an Architect
What kind of Architect requirements are there?
What work experience do I need to become an Architect?
Where Architects Work
Architects work in the following industries:
Those thinking about becoming an Architect might also be interested in the following careers:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|