Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Design & Applied Arts at Iowa State University

Find Schools Near

Design & Applied Arts at Iowa State University

What traits are you looking for in a design school? To help you decide if Iowa State University is right for you, we've gathered the following information about the school's design program.

Iowa State is located in Ames, Iowa and has a total student population of 33,372. In the 2018-2019 academic year, 252 students received a bachelor's degree in design from Iowa State.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Design & Applied Arts section at the bottom of this page.

Iowa State Design & Applied Arts Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Design
  • Master’s Degree in Design

Iowa State Design & Applied Arts Rankings

The design major at Iowa State is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Design & Applied Arts. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

In 2019, 18 students received their master’s degree in design from Iowa State. This makes it the #26 most popular school for design master’s degree candidates in the country.

How Much Do Design Graduates from Iowa State Make?

The median salary of design students who receive their bachelor's degree at Iowa State is $36,000. This is 17% higher than $30,900, which is the national average for all design bachelor's degree recipients.

undefined

Design Student Demographics at Iowa State

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the design majors at Iowa State University.

Iowa State Design & Applied Arts Bachelor’s Program

58% Women
15% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 252 students earned a bachelor's degree in design from Iowa State. About 58% of these graduates were women and the other 42% were men. The typical design bachelor's degree program is made up of only 33% men. So male students are more repesented at Iowa State since its program graduates 8% more men than average.

Iowa State Gender Breakdown of Design & Applied Arts Bachelor's Degree Grads

About 68% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in design at Iowa State are white. This is above average for this degree on the nationwide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Iowa State University with a bachelor's in design.

Racial-Ethnic Diversity of Design & Applied Arts Majors at Iowa State University
Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 11
Black or African American 10
Hispanic or Latino 13
White 171
International Students 21
Other Races/Ethnicities 26

Iowa State Design & Applied Arts Master’s Program

61% Women
6% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
Of the 18 students who graduated with a master’s in design from Iowa State in 2019, 39% were men and 61% were women. Nationwide, master's degree programs only see 33% men graduate in design each year. Iowa State does a better job at serving the male population as it supports 5% more men than average.

Iowa State Gender Breakdown of Design & Applied Arts Master's Degree Grads

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Iowa State University with a master's in design.

Racial-Ethnic Diversity of Design & Applied Arts Majors at Iowa State University
Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 8
International Students 9
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

Iowa State also has a doctoral program available in design. In 2019, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Design Grads May Go Into

A degree in design can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for IA, the home state for Iowa State University.

Occupation Jobs in IA Average Salary in IA
Graphic Designers 2,270 $43,920
Professors 2,250 $71,300
Art, Drama, and Music Professors 1,110 $80,700
Commercial and Industrial Designers 650 $60,750
Photographers 510 $30,180

References

*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.