Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

General Biology at George Washington University

Find Schools Near

General Biology at George Washington University

What traits are you looking for in a biology school? To help you decide if George Washington University is right for you, we've gathered the following information about the school's biology program.

GWU is located in Washington, District of Columbia and has a total student population of 27,017. Of the 3,572 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from George Washington University in 2021, 113 of them were general biology majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in General Biology section at the bottom of this page.

GWU General Biology Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Biology
  • Master’s Degree in Biology
  • Doctorate Degree in Biology

GWU General Biology Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the biology progam at GWU compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: Although rankings can help you see some information about a school, it's not a good idea to depend on them alone. Be sure to check out other things about the school before making your decision to attend.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The biology major at GWU is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for General Biology. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular General Biology Master’s Degree Schools 105
Most Focused General Biology Bachelor’s Degree Schools 1,210

In 2021, 15 students received their master’s degree in biology from GWU. This makes it the #105 most popular school for biology master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 4 students who received their doctoral degrees in biology, making the school the #113 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do Biology Graduates from GWU Make?

The median salary of biology students who receive their bachelor's degree at GWU is $28,669. This is great news for graduates of the program, since this figure is 5% higher than the national average of $27,253 for all biology bachelor's degree recipients.


Biology Student Demographics at GWU

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the biology majors at George Washington University.

GWU General Biology Bachelor’s Program

67% Women
39% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
For the most recent academic year available, 33% of biology bachelor's degrees went to men and 67% went to women.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from George Washington University with a bachelor's in biology.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 25
Black or African American 8
Hispanic or Latino 6
White 52
International Students 11
Other Races/Ethnicities 11

GWU General Biology Master’s Program

73% Women
53% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 15 students earned a master's degree in biology from GWU. About 73% of these graduates were women and the other 27% were men.


In the biology master's program at this school, racial-ethnic minorities make up 53% of degree recipients. That is 7% better than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from George Washington University with a master's in biology.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 2
Black or African American 3
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 6
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 3

GWU also has a doctoral program available in biology. In 2021, 4 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Biology Grads May Go Into

A degree in biology can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for DC, the home state for George Washington University.

Occupation Jobs in DC Average Salary in DC
High School Teachers 3,850 $65,180
Natural Sciences Managers 1,200 $132,310
Medical Scientists 580 $104,280
Biological Scientists 520 $104,460
Biological Science Professors 390 $142,760


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.