Types of Degrees Architectural Engineering Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many architectural engineering technology graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Architectural Engineering Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, AE tech majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for AE Tech Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
Skills for AE Tech Majors
AE tech majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
Abilities for AE Tech Majors
A major in AE tech will prepare for your careers in which the following abilities are important:
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Finger Dexterity - The ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very small objects.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
What Can You Do With a Architectural Engineering Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with AE tech:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Architectural Engineering?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of AE tech majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||22|
|Hispanic or Latino||42|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in AE Tech. About 4.4% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
How Much Do Architectural Engineering Majors Make?
Bachelor’s Degree Starting Salary
The median early-career salary of architectural engineering technology students with a bachelor’s degree is $52,600 a year according to 2017-2018 data from the U.S. Department of Education. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $41,800 (25th percentile) and $60,700 (75th percentile).
We don’t know for sure if all of these people took jobs related to AE tech so take that into consideration.
Salaries According to BLS
The median salary for someone in a career related to AE tech is $65,720. This median refers to all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Architectural Engineering
Some degrees associated with AE tech may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
Find out what the typical degree level is for AE tech careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||12.1%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||12.1%|
|Some College Courses||16.1%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||32.3%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||8.1%|
Online Architectural Engineering Programs
In 2018-2019, 105 schools offered a AE tech program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||32||2|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||19||4|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Architectural Engineering Worth It?
The median salary for a AE tech grad is $65,720 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 65% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $516,400 after 20 years!
Top Ranking Lists for Architectural Engineering
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Architectural Engineering
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to AE tech.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Industrial Production Technology||14,313|
|Drafting & Design Engineering Technology||10,756|
|Electromechanical Engineering Technology||10,702|
|Environmental Control Technology||10,042|
|Electronics Engineering Technology||9,875|
|Mechanical Engineering Technology||7,772|
|Quality Control Technology||4,315|
|General Engineering Technology||4,212|
|Computer Engineering Technology||4,180|
|Construction Engineering Technology||3,824|
|Engineering Technology (Other)||1,786|
|Civil Engineering Technology||1,357|
|Mining & Petroleum Technology||705|
|Nuclear Engineering Technology||388|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|