Types of Degrees Computer Engineering Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many computer engineering technology graduations there were in 2017-2018 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Computer Engineering Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to computer engineering tech were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Computer Engineering Tech Majors
Computer Engineering Tech majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Skills for Computer Engineering Tech Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to computer engineering tech:
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Abilities for Computer Engineering Tech Majors
As a computer engineering tech major, you will find yourself needing the following abilities:
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
What Can You Do With a Computer Engineering Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with computer engineering tech:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Electrical Engineering Technicians||2.0%||$64,330|
|Electronics Engineering Technicians||2.0%||$64,330|
|Manufacturing Production Technicians||5.2%||$63,200|
|Software Developers, Applications||30.7%||$103,620|
|Software Developers, Systems Software||11.1%||$110,000|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of computer engineering tech majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||116|
|Hispanic or Latino||149|
Computer Engineering Tech appeals to people across the globe. About 10.1% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- Saudi Arabia
How Much Do Computer Engineering Majors Make?
Bachelor’s Degree Starting Salary
According to 2017-2018 data from the U.S. Department of Education, students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering tech have a median salary of $53,900 during the early years of their career. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $53,900 (25th percentile) and $53,900 (75th percentile).
It is possible that some of these people may have taken positions that were not related to computer engineering tech.
Salaries According to BLS
Computer Engineering Tech majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $65,720 to $108,080 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Computer Engineering
Some careers associated with computer engineering tech require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
Find out what the typical degree level is for computer engineering tech careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||7.6%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||13.6%|
|Some College Courses||6.0%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||16.9%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||0.4%|
Online Computer Engineering Programs
In 2017-2018, 317 schools offered a computer engineering tech program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||106||8|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||104||2|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||2||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Computer Engineering Worth It?
The median salary for a computer engineering tech grad is $89,580 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 125% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $993,600 after 20 years!
Majors Related to Computer Engineering
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to computer engineering tech.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Industrial Production Technology||14,418|
|Drafting & Design Engineering Technology||10,842|
|Electromechanical Engineering Technology||10,032|
|Electronics Engineering Technology||9,880|
|Environmental Control Technology||9,388|
|Mechanical Engineering Technology||7,628|
|Quality Control Technology||4,467|
|General Engineering Technology||4,049|
|Construction Engineering Technology||3,497|
|Engineering Technology (Other)||1,906|
|Civil Engineering Technology||1,526|
|Architectural Engineering Technology||1,236|
|Mining & Petroleum Technology||976|
|Nuclear Engineering Technology||318|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By AAAndrey A under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
Featured Electronic / Computer Technology Schools
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|