General Engineering Technology
Types of Degrees General Engineering Technology Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many general engineering technology graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What General Engineering Technology Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to engineering tech and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Engineering Tech Majors
Engineering Tech majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Skills for Engineering Tech Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to engineering tech:
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in General Engineering Technology?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of engineering tech majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||134|
|Hispanic or Latino||197|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Engineering Tech. About 12.5% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- Saudi Arabia
Bachelor’s Degree Starting Salary
The median early-career salary of general engineering technology students with a bachelor’s degree is $55,950 a year according to 2017-2018 data from the U.S. Department of Education. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $51,900 (25th percentile) and $58,750 (75th percentile).
It is possible that some of these people may have taken positions that were not related to engineering tech.
Online General Engineering Technology Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 230 schools offered some type of general engineering technology program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||72||1|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||35||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Majors Related to General Engineering Technology
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to engineering tech.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Industrial Production Technology||14,313|
|Drafting & Design Engineering Technology||10,756|
|Electromechanical Engineering Technology||10,702|
|Environmental Control Technology||10,042|
|Electronics Engineering Technology||9,875|
|Mechanical Engineering Technology||7,772|
|Quality Control Technology||4,315|
|Computer Engineering Technology||4,180|
|Construction Engineering Technology||3,824|
|Engineering Technology (Other)||1,786|
|Architectural Engineering Technology||1,362|
|Civil Engineering Technology||1,357|
|Mining & Petroleum Technology||705|
|Nuclear Engineering Technology||388|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By KUKA Systems GmbH under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|