Teacher Education Grade Specific
Types of Degrees Teacher Education Grade Specific Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many teacher education grade specific graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Teacher Education Grade Specific Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, grade specific ed majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Grade Specific Ed Majors
According to O*NET survey takers, a major in grade specific ed should prepare you for careers in which you will need to be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Skills for Grade Specific Ed Majors
A major in grade specific ed prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Abilities for Grade Specific Ed Majors
A major in grade specific ed will prepare for your careers in which the following abilities are important:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Speech Recognition - The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
What Can You Do With a Teacher Education Grade Specific Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with grade specific ed:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education||7.4%||$58,230|
|Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education||8.0%||$55,470|
|Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education||7.5%||$58,600|
|Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education||10.5%||$29,780|
|Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education||7.5%||$60,320|
|Self-Enrichment Education Teachers||16.2%||$38,720|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Teacher Education Grade Specific?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of grade specific ed majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||3,034|
|Hispanic or Latino||6,068|
Grade Specific Ed appeals to people across the globe. About 1.0% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- South Korea
- Saudi Arabia
How Much Do Teacher Education Grade Specific Majors Make?
Bachelor’s Degree Starting Salary
The median early-career salary of teacher education grade specific students with a bachelor’s degree is $34,000 a year according to 2017-2018 data from the U.S. Department of Education. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $30,900 (25th percentile) and $37,200 (75th percentile).
It is possible that some of these people may have taken positions that were not related to grade specific ed.
Salaries According to BLS
Average salaries range from $44,960 to $62,200 (25th to 75th percentile) for careers related to grade specific ed. This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Teacher Education Grade Specific
Some careers associated with grade specific ed require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to grade specific ed have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||0.2%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||5.8%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||3.2%|
|Some College Courses||4.6%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||4.7%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||10.0%|
|Post-Master’s Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Master’s degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees at the doctoral level.||1.3%|
Online Teacher Education Grade Specific Programs
In 2018-2019, 1,878 schools offered a grade specific ed program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||309||84|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||298||54|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||12||1|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||74||13|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||2||2|
Is a Degree in Teacher Education Grade Specific Worth It?
The median salary for a grade specific ed grad is $58,370 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 46% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $369,400 after 20 years!
Majors Related to Teacher Education Grade Specific
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to grade specific ed.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Teacher Education Subject Specific||43,516|
|Curriculum & Instruction||18,767|
|Instructional Media Design||7,063|
|Teaching English or French||5,407|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Vgrigas under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|