Types of Degrees Educational Administration Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many educational administration graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Educational Administration Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, education admin majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Education Admin Majors
According to O*NET survey takers, a major in education admin should prepare you for careers in which you will need to be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
Skills for Education Admin Majors
education admin majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Abilities for Education Admin Majors
Education Admin majors often go into careers where the following abilities are vital:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
What Can You Do With a Educational Administration Major?
People with a education admin degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Distance Learning Coordinators||10.7%||$82,850|
|Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School||7.9%||$95,310|
|Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare Center/Program||10.8%||$47,940|
|Fitness and Wellness Coordinators||10.7%||$82,850|
|Postsecondary Education Administrators||10.1%||$94,340|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Educational Administration?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of education admin majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||128|
|Hispanic or Latino||54|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Education Admin. About 0.3% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
How Much Do Educational Administration Majors Make?
Bachelor’s Degree Starting Salary
The median starting salary of students who graduated in 2015-2017 with a bachelor’s degree in education admin was $28,800 per year. These stats come from the U.S. Department of Education. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $28,700 (25th percentile) and $28,800 (75th percentile).
It’s important to note that just because the people reporting these salaries have a degree in education admin, it does not mean that they are working in a job related to their degree.
Salaries According to BLS
Average salaries range from $53,990 to $98,750 (25th to 75th percentile) for careers related to education admin. This range includes all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Educational Administration
Some degrees associated with education admin may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
Find out what the typical degree level is for education admin careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||6.7%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||1.2%|
|Some College Courses||3.9%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||6.3%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||2.0%|
|Post-Master’s Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Master’s degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees at the doctoral level.||8.0%|
|First Professional Degree - awarded for completion of a program that: requires at least 2 years of college work before entrance into the program, includes a total of at least 6 academic years of work to complete, and provides all remaining academic requirements to begin practice in a profession.||0.6%|
Online Educational Administration Programs
In 2018-2019, 901 schools offered a education admin program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||29||12|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||8||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||484||124|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||34||4|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||39||8|
Is a Degree in Educational Administration Worth It?
The median salary for a education admin grad is $89,570 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 124% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $993,400 after 20 years!
Majors Related to Educational Administration
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to education admin.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Teacher Education Grade Specific||100,925|
|Teacher Education Subject Specific||43,516|
|Curriculum & Instruction||18,767|
|Instructional Media Design||7,063|
|Teaching English or French||5,407|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Shai-WMIL under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|