Types of Degrees Real Estate Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many real estate graduations there were in 2017-2018 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Real Estate Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to real estate were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Real Estate Majors
According to O*NET survey takers, a major in real estate should prepare you for careers in which you will need to be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
Skills for Real Estate Majors
real estate majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Abilities for Real Estate Majors
A major in real estate will prepare for your careers in which the following abilities are important:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
What Can You Do With a Real Estate Major?
People with a real estate degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Appraisers, Real Estate||14.4%||$54,980|
|Property, Real Estate, and Community Association Managers||10.3%||$58,340|
|Real Estate Brokers||4.9%||$58,210|
|Real Estate Sales Agents||5.8%||$48,690|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Real Estate?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of real estate majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||44|
|Hispanic or Latino||166|
Students from other countries are interested in Real Estate, too. About 2.0% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- South Korea
How Much Do Real Estate Majors Make?
Bachelor’s Degree Starting Salary
Data from the U.S. Department of Education shows that real estate students who graduated in 2015-2017 with a bachelor’s degree made a median starting salary of $47,600 per year. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $43,750 (25th percentile) and $49,675 (75th percentile).
It’s important to note that just because the people reporting these salaries have a degree in real estate, it does not mean that they are working in a job related to their degree.
Salaries According to BLS
Average salaries range from $61,720 to $71,730 (25th to 75th percentile) for careers related to real estate. This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Real Estate
Some degrees associated with real estate may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
Find out what the typical degree level is for real estate careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||2.5%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||21.7%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||8.3%|
|Some College Courses||15.6%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||13.9%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||2.6%|
|First Professional Degree - awarded for completion of a program that: requires at least 2 years of college work before entrance into the program, includes a total of at least 6 academic years of work to complete, and provides all remaining academic requirements to begin practice in a profession.||1.7%|
Online Real Estate Programs
In the 2017-2018 academic year, 242 schools offered some type of real estate program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||130||15|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||44||3|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Real Estate Worth It?
The median salary for a real estate grad is $61,870 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 55% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $439,400 after 20 years!
Majors Related to Real Estate
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to real estate.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Business Administration & Management||399,810|
|Finance & Financial Management||56,960|
|Human Resource Management||26,853|
|Business Support & Assistant Services||19,248|
|Management Sciences & Quantitative Methods||18,282|
|Management Information Systems||14,578|
|Specialized Sales, Merchandising & Marketing||6,711|
|Other Business, Management & Marketing||5,750|
|General Sales & Marketing||5,673|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Godrej Mamurdi Pune under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
Featured Real Estate Schools
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|