Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Legal Professions at Harvard University

Find Schools Near

Legal Professions at Harvard University

If you plan to study legal professions, take a look at what Harvard University has to offer and decide if the program is a good match for you. Get started with the following essential facts.

Harvard is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts and approximately 30,391 students attend the school each year.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Legal Professions section at the bottom of this page.

  • Master’s Degree in Legal Professions
  • Doctorate Degree in Legal Professions

Online Classes Are Available at Harvard

If you are a working student or have a busy schedule, you may want to consider taking online classes. While these classes used to be mostly populated by returning adults, more and more traditional students are turning to this option.

Harvard does offer online education options in legal professions for the following degree levels for those interested in distance learning:

There were 601 students who received their doctoral degrees in legal professions, making the school the #2 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the legal professions majors at Harvard University.

53% Women
2% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The legal professions program at Harvard awarded 64 master's degrees in 2020-2021. About 47% of these degrees went to men with the other 53% going to women. Nationwide, master's degree programs only see 39% men graduate in legal professions each year. Harvard does a better job at serving the male population as it supports 8% more men than average.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Harvard University with a master's in legal professions.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 8
International Students 53
Other Races/Ethnicities 2

Legal Professions majors may want to concentrate their studies in one of these areas. The table shows all degrees awarded in this field awarded for all degree levels at Harvard University. A concentration may not be available for your level.

Concentration Annual Degrees Awarded
Law 594
Legal Research 67
Non-Professional General Legal Studies 5

A degree in legal professions can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for MA, the home state for Harvard University.

Occupation Jobs in MA Average Salary in MA
Lawyers 18,420 $165,610
Paralegals and Legal Assistants 7,330 $60,320
Legal Secretaries 3,920 $59,020
Law Professors 610 $137,150
Title Examiners, Abstractors, and Searchers 590 $63,330


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.