What Do Wind Turbine Service Technician Do?
Position Description Inspect, diagnose, adjust, or repair wind turbines. Perform maintenance on wind turbine equipment including resolving electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic malfunctions.
Life As a Wind Turbine Service Technician
- Test electrical components of wind systems with devices such as voltage testers, multimeters, oscilloscopes, infrared testers, or fiber optic equipment.
- Collect turbine data for testing or research and analysis.
- Climb wind turbine towers to inspect, maintain, or repair equipment.
- Diagnose problems involving wind turbine generators or control systems.
- Train end-users, distributors, installers, or other technicians in wind commissioning, testing, or other technical procedures.
- Test structures, controls, or mechanical, hydraulic, or electrical systems, according to test plans or in coordination with engineers.
Wind Turbine Service Technician Skills
Below is a list of the skills most Wind Turbine Service Technicians say are important on the job.
Troubleshooting: Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
Repairing: Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
Equipment Maintenance: Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Operation Monitoring: Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Types of Wind Turbine Service Technician
- Maintenance Technician
- Wind Technician
- Offshore Wind Turbine Technician
- Wind Turbine Installer
Job Outlook for Wind Turbine Service Technicians
In the United States, there were 5,800 jobs for Wind Turbine Service Technician in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 94.8% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 5,500 new jobs for Wind Turbine Service Technician by 2026. The BLS estimates 1,400 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Wind Turbine Service Technician are Wyoming, Texas, and North Dakota. Watch out if you plan on working in Arkansas, New Mexico, or Iowa. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Average Wind Turbine Service Technicians Salary
The typical yearly salary for Wind Turbine Service Technicians is somewhere between $37,780 and $83,560.
Wind Turbine Service Technicians who work in West Virginia, Colorado, or North Dakota, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Wind Turbine Service Technicians in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
Tools & Technologies Used by Wind Turbine Service Technicians
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Wind Turbine Service Technicians:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Project
- Supervisory control and data acquisition SCADA software
- Computerized maintenance management system CMMS
- Programmable logic controller PLC software
- Computerized diagnostic software
Becoming a Wind Turbine Service Technician
Individuals working as a Wind Turbine Service Technician have obtained the following education levels:
How Long Does it Take to Become a Wind Turbine Service Technician?
Where Wind Turbine Service Technicians Are Employed
Wind Turbine Service Technicians work in the following industries:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|