All About Preventive Medicine Physicians
Example of Preventive Medicine Physician Job Apply knowledge of general preventive medicine and public health issues to promote health care to groups or individuals, and aid in the prevention or reduction of risk of disease, injury, disability, or death. May practice population-based medicine or diagnose and treat patients in the context of clinical health promotion and disease prevention.
Life As a Preventive Medicine Physician
- Direct or manage prevention programs in specialty areas such as aerospace, occupational, infectious disease, and environmental medicine.
- Design or use surveillance tools, such as screening, lab reports, and vital records, to identify health risks.
- Develop or implement interventions to address behavioral causes of diseases.
- Supervise or coordinate the work of physicians, nurses, statisticians, or other professional staff members.
- Perform epidemiological investigations of acute and chronic diseases.
- Coordinate or integrate the resources of health care institutions, social service agencies, public safety workers, or other organizations to improve community health.
What Every Preventive Medicine Physician Should Know
Below is a list of the skills most Preventive Medicine Physicians say are important on the job.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Related Job Titles for this Occupation:
- Preventive Medicine Specialist
- Occupational Medicine Physician
- Regional Medical Director
- Residency Director
- Primary Clinician
Job Opportunities for Preventive Medicine Physicians
There were about 372,400 jobs for Preventive Medicine Physician in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 11.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 42,300 new jobs for Preventive Medicine Physician by 2026. There will be an estimated 14,300 positions for Preventive Medicine Physician per year.
The states with the most job growth for Preventive Medicine Physician are Arizona, Alaska, and Utah. Watch out if you plan on working in Connecticut, Rhode Island, or Illinois. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Average Preventive Medicine Physicians Salary
Preventive Medicine Physicians make between $60,280 and $208,000 a year.
Preventive Medicine Physicians who work in Alaska, Arizona, or Colorado, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Preventive Medicine Physicians in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$182,910|
What Tools do Preventive Medicine Physicians Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Preventive Medicine Physicians may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Email software
- Database software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Scheduling software
- StataCorp Stata
- Wolfram Research Mathematica
- Insightful S-PLUS
- Patient electronic medical record EMR software
- SAS JMP
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Epi Info
- Statistical Solutions BMDP
How do I Become a Preventive Medicine Physician?
Are there Preventive Medicine Physicians education requirements?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Preventive Medicine Physician?
Who Employs Preventive Medicine Physicians?
Preventive Medicine Physicians work in the following industries:
You May Also Be Interested In…
Those interested in being a Preventive Medicine Physician may also be interested in:
- Forestry & Conservation Science Professors
- Chemistry Professors
- Biological Science Professors
Career changers with experience as a Preventive Medicine Physician sometimes find work in one of the following fields:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|