Life As an Obstetrician or Gynecologist
Occupation Description Physicians who provide medical care related to pregnancy or childbirth and those who diagnose, treat, and help prevent diseases of women, particularly those affecting the reproductive system. May also provide general medical care to women.
Life As an OB-GYN
- Analyze records, reports, test results, or examination information to diagnose medical condition of patient.
- Care for and treat women during prenatal, natal, and postnatal periods.
- Explain procedures and discuss test results or prescribed treatments with patients.
- Conduct research to develop or test medications, treatments, or procedures to prevent or control disease or injury.
- Collect, record, and maintain patient information, such as medical histories, reports, or examination results.
- Treat diseases of female organs.
OB-GYN Needed Skills
Obstetricians and Gynecologists state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Science: Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
Other OB-GYN Job Titles
- OB/GYN (Obstetrician / Gynecologist)
- Obstetrics Gynecology Physician (OB/GYN Physician)
- OB/GYN (Obstetrician Gynecologist)
- OB/GYN Physician (Obstetrics and Gynecology Physician)
Job Opportunities for Obstetricians and Gynecologists
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 21,700 jobs in the United States for Obstetrician or Gynecologist. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 15.2% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 3,300 new jobs for Obstetrician or Gynecologist by 2026. There will be an estimated 900 positions for OB-GYN per year.
The states with the most job growth for OB-GYN are North Dakota, Arizona, and Utah. Watch out if you plan on working in Wyoming, Vermont, or South Dakota. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Obstetricians and Gynecologists make between $92,040 and $208,000 a year.
Obstetricians and Gynecologists who work in Alabama, Alaska, or Colorado, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Obstetricians and Gynecologists in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$225,260|
What Tools do Obstetricians and Gynecologists Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Obstetricians and Gynecologists may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- Web browser software
- Email software
- Word processing software
- MEDITECH software
- Scheduling software
- Medical procedure coding software
- Bizmatics PrognoCIS EMR
- Greenway Medical Technologies PrimeSUITE
- Allscripts Professional EHR
- e-MDs software
- ChartWare EMR
- Practice Partner Total Practice Partner
- MedcomSoft Record
- digiChart OB-GYN
- Acrendo Medical Software Ob/Gyn EMR
Becoming an OB-GYN
What education is needed to be an Obstetrician or Gynecologist?
How Long Does it Take to Become an OB-GYN?
Obstetricians and Gynecologists Sector
The table below shows the approximate number of Obstetricians and Gynecologists employed by various industries.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|