What is a Family and General Practitioner?
Position Description Physicians who diagnose, treat, and help prevent diseases and injuries that commonly occur in the general population. May refer patients to specialists when needed for further diagnosis or treatment.
Life As a Family and General Practitioner: What Do They Do?
- Conduct research to study anatomy and develop or test medications, treatments, or procedures to prevent or control disease or injury.
- Train residents, medical students, and other health care professionals.
- Monitor patients' conditions and progress and reevaluate treatments as necessary.
- Advise patients and community members concerning diet, activity, hygiene, and disease prevention.
- Prepare government or organizational reports which include birth, death, and disease statistics, workforce evaluations, or medical status of individuals.
- Plan, implement, or administer health programs or standards in hospitals, businesses, or communities for prevention or treatment of injury or illness.
What a Family and General Practitioner Should Know
These are the skills Family and General Practitioners say are the most useful in their careers:
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Types of Family and General Practitioner Jobs
- Family Practice Medical Doctor (FP MD)
- Public Health Physician
- Family Practice Physician
- Board Certified Family Physician
- Family Practitioner
Family and General Practitioner Job Outlook
In the United States, there were 134,800 jobs for Family and General Practitioner in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 14.3% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 19,300 new jobs for Family and General Practitioner by 2026. The BLS estimates 5,600 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Family and General Practitioner are Utah, Arizona, and Alaska. Watch out if you plan on working in Vermont, Rhode Island, or Mississippi. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Do Family and General Practitioners Make A Lot Of Money?
The salary for Family and General Practitioners ranges between about $79,600 and $208,000 a year.
Family and General Practitioners who work in Alaska, Arkansas, or Colorado, make the highest salaries.
How much do Family and General Practitioners make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$162,830|
What Tools do Family and General Practitioners Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Family and General Practitioners may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- Web browser software
- Email software
- MEDITECH software
- Scheduling software
- Medical procedure coding software
- Epic Systems
- Billing software
- Practice management software PMS
- SOAPware EMR
- Allscripts Professional EHR
- e-MDs software
- ChartWare EMR
- Practice Partner Total Practice Partner
- MedcomSoft Record
- Epocrates Essentials
- Medical reference software
- Misys Healthcare Systems Mysis Tiger
How to Become a Family and General Practitioner
Individuals working as a Family and General Practitioner have obtained the following education levels:
How Long Does it Take to Become a Family and General Practitioner?
Who Employs Family and General Practitioners?
Family and General Practitioners work in the following industries:
Other Jobs You May be Interested In
Those thinking about becoming a Family and General Practitioner might also be interested in the following careers:
Are you already one of the many Family and General Practitioner in the United States? If you’re thinking about changing careers, these fields are worth exploring:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|