What You Need to Know About Family and General Practitioner
Family and General Practitioner Job Description Physicians who diagnose, treat, and help prevent diseases and injuries that commonly occur in the general population. May refer patients to specialists when needed for further diagnosis or treatment.
Daily Life Of a Family and General Practitioner
- Order, perform, and interpret tests and analyze records, reports, and examination information to diagnose patients’ condition.
- Conduct research to study anatomy and develop or test medications, treatments, or procedures to prevent or control disease or injury.
- Plan, implement, or administer health programs or standards in hospitals, businesses, or communities for prevention or treatment of injury or illness.
- Refer patients to medical specialists or other practitioners when necessary.
- Prescribe or administer treatment, therapy, medication, vaccination, and other specialized medical care to treat or prevent illness, disease, or injury.
- Direct and coordinate activities of nurses, students, assistants, specialists, therapists, and other medical staff.
Skills Needed to be a Family and General Practitioner
Below is a list of the skills most Family and General Practitioners say are important on the job.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Types of Family and General Practitioner Jobs
- Geriatric Physician
- Emergency Medicine Physician
- Physician Assistant
- Family Physician
What Kind of Family and General Practitioner Job Opportunities Are There?
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 134,800 jobs in the United States for Family and General Practitioner. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 14.3% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 19,300 new jobs for Family and General Practitioner by 2026. The BLS estimates 5,600 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Family and General Practitioner are Utah, Arizona, and Alaska. Watch out if you plan on working in Vermont, Rhode Island, or Mississippi. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Do Family and General Practitioners Make A Lot Of Money?
The typical yearly salary for Family and General Practitioners is somewhere between $79,600 and $208,000.
Family and General Practitioners who work in Alaska, Arkansas, or Colorado, make the highest salaries.
How much do Family and General Practitioners make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$162,830|
What Tools & Technology do Family and General Practitioners Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Family and General Practitioners may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- Web browser software
- Email software
- MEDITECH software
- Scheduling software
- Medical procedure coding software
- Epic Systems
- Billing software
- Practice management software PMS
- SOAPware EMR
- Allscripts Professional EHR
- e-MDs software
- ChartWare EMR
- Practice Partner Total Practice Partner
- MedcomSoft Record
- Epocrates Essentials
- Medical reference software
- Misys Healthcare Systems Mysis Tiger
Becoming a Family and General Practitioner
What education or degrees do I need to become a Family and General Practitioner?
What work experience do I need to become a Family and General Practitioner?
Where Family and General Practitioners Work
The table below shows the approximate number of Family and General Practitioners employed by various industries.
Those interested in being a Family and General Practitioner may also be interested in:
Career changers with experience as a Family and General Practitioner sometimes find work in one of the following fields:
More about our data sources and methodologies.