All About Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders
Job Description: Operate or tend cooking equipment, such as steam cooking vats, deep fry cookers, pressure cookers, kettles, and boilers, to prepare food products.
Cooking Machine Operator Responsibilities
- Clean, wash, and sterilize equipment and cooking area, using water hoses, cleaning or sterilizing solutions, or rinses.
- Admit required amounts of water, steam, cooking oils, or compressed air into equipment, such as by opening water valves to cool mixtures to the desired consistency.
- Remove cooked material or products from equipment.
- Collect and examine product samples during production to test them for quality, color, content, consistency, viscosity, acidity, or specific gravity.
- Turn valves or start pumps to add ingredients or drain products from equipment and to transfer products for storage, cooling, or further processing.
- Observe gauges, dials, and product characteristics, and adjust controls to maintain appropriate temperature, pressure, and flow of ingredients.
Things a Cooking Machine Operator Should Know How to Do
These are the skills Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders say are the most useful in their careers:
Operation Monitoring: Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Operation and Control: Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
Monitoring: Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Related Job Titles for this Occupation:
- Retort Operator
- Vegetable Cook
- Mexican Food Cook
- Manufacturing Processor
- Mogul Operator
Job Outlook for Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 37,200 jobs in the United States for Food Cooking Machine Operator or Tender. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 2.4% which is below the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 900 new jobs for Food Cooking Machine Operator or Tender by 2026. There will be an estimated 5,200 positions for Cooking Machine Operator per year.
The states with the most job growth for Cooking Machine Operator are Rhode Island, Utah, and Vermont. Watch out if you plan on working in North Dakota, New Mexico, or Missouri. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Average Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders Salary
The average yearly salary of a Cooking Machine Operator ranges between $21,230 and $45,400.
Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders who work in Michigan, Oregon, or Nebraska, make the highest salaries.
How much do Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
What Tools & Technology do Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders:
- Database software
How to Become a Cooking Machine Operator
Education needed to be a Food Cooking Machine Operator or Tender:
What work experience do I need to become a Cooking Machine Operator?
Who Employs Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders?
Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders work in the following industries:
You May Also Be Interested In…
Those who work as a Food Cooking Machine Operator or Tender sometimes switch careers to one of these choices:
More about our data sources and methodologies.