Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Writing Studies at University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Campus

Find Schools Near

Writing Studies at University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Campus

If you plan to study writing studies, take a look at what University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Campus has to offer and decide if the program is a good match for you. Get started with the following essential facts.

Pitt is located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and approximately 32,277 students attend the school each year. Of the 5,522 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Campus in 2021, 268 of them were writing studies majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Writing Studies section at the bottom of this page.

Pitt Writing Studies Degrees Available

  • Basic Certificate in Writing (Less Than 1 Year)
  • Bachelor’s Degree in Writing
  • Doctorate Degree in Writing

Pitt Writing Studies Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the writing progam at Pitt compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The writing major at Pitt is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Writing Studies. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Writing Studies Bachelor’s Degree Schools 2
Best Writing Studies Basic Certificate Schools 3
Most Popular Writing Studies Doctor’s Degree Schools 4

In 2021, 0 student received their master’s degree in writing from Pitt. This is the #254 most popular school for writing master’s degree candidates in the country.

How Much Do Writing Graduates from Pitt Make?

The median salary of writing students who receive their bachelor's degree at Pitt is $33,776. This is great news for graduates of the program, since this figure is 25% higher than the national average of $27,021 for all writing bachelor's degree recipients.


Writing Student Demographics at Pitt

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the writing majors at University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Campus.

Pitt Writing Studies Bachelor’s Program

61% Women
25% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 268 students earned a bachelor's degree in writing from Pitt. About 61% of these graduates were women and the other 39% were men. The typical writing bachelor's degree program is made up of only 31% men. So male students are more repesented at Pitt since its program graduates 8% more men than average.


About 74% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in writing at Pitt are white. This is above average for this degree on the nationwide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Campus with a bachelor's in writing.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 14
Black or African American 19
Hispanic or Latino 17
White 198
International Students 4
Other Races/Ethnicities 16

Pitt also has a doctoral program available in writing. In 2021, 9 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Writing Grads May Go Into

A degree in writing can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for PA, the home state for University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Campus.

Occupation Jobs in PA Average Salary in PA
English Language and Literature Professors 3,860 $75,970
Editors 3,020 $62,870
Technical Writers 1,810 $70,060
Writers and Authors 1,400 $60,140


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.