Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Criminology at University of Pennsylvania

Find Schools Near

Criminology at University of Pennsylvania

If you are interested in studying criminology, you may want to check out the program at University of Pennsylvania. The following information will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

UPenn is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and approximately 26,552 students attend the school each year. Of the 3,499 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from University of Pennsylvania in 2021, 31 of them were criminology majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Criminology section at the bottom of this page.

UPenn Criminology Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Criminology
  • Master’s Degree in Criminology

UPenn Criminology Rankings

Each year, College Factual ranks criminology programs across the country. The following shows how UPenn performed in these rankings.

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The criminology major at UPenn is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Criminology. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Value Criminology Schools 100

In 2021, 15 students received their master’s degree in criminology from UPenn. This makes it the #14 most popular school for criminology master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 0 student who received their doctoral degrees in criminology, making the school the #15 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Criminology Student Demographics at UPenn

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the criminology majors at University of Pennsylvania.

UPenn Criminology Bachelor’s Program

74% Women
52% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The criminology program at UPenn awarded 31 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 26% of these degrees went to men with the other 74% going to women.


Prospective students may be interested in knowing that this school graduates 8% more racial-ethnic minorities in its criminology bachelor's program than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Pennsylvania with a bachelor's in criminology.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 4
Black or African American 5
Hispanic or Latino 6
White 13
International Students 2
Other Races/Ethnicities 1

UPenn Criminology Master’s Program

80% Women
27% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
During the 2020-2021 academic year, 15 criminology majors earned their master's degree from UPenn. Of these graduates, 20% were men and 80% were women.


Of the students who received a criminology master's degree from UPenn, 53% were white. This is typical for this degree on the natiowide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Pennsylvania with a master's in criminology.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 2
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 8
International Students 3
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

UPenn also has a doctoral program available in criminology. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Criminology Grads May Go Into

A degree in criminology can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for PA, the home state for University of Pennsylvania.

Occupation Jobs in PA Average Salary in PA
Managers 11,060 $126,290
Sociologists 60 $121,470


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.