Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Computer Science at University of Pennsylvania

Find Schools Near

Computer Science at University of Pennsylvania

Every computer science school has its own distinct culture and strengths. We've pulled together some statistics and other details to help you see how the compsci program at University of Pennsylvania stacks up to those at other schools.

UPenn is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and has a total student population of 26,552. Of the 3,499 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from University of Pennsylvania in 2021, 108 of them were computer science majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Computer Science section at the bottom of this page.

UPenn Computer Science Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in CompSci
  • Master’s Degree in CompSci

UPenn Computer Science Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the compsci progam at UPenn compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: While rankings may be a good starting point when you're researching a school, they don't necessarily highlight all of a school's strengths. Don't forget to check out the other details that are available for a school to see if it has what you're looking for in a program.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The compsci major at UPenn is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Computer Science. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Computer Science Schools 85

In 2021, 91 students received their master’s degree in compsci from UPenn. This makes it the #40 most popular school for compsci master’s degree candidates in the country.

How Much Do CompSci Graduates from UPenn Make?

The median salary of compsci students who receive their bachelor's degree at UPenn is $127,623. This is great news for graduates of the program, since this figure is 102% higher than the national average of $63,247 for all compsci bachelor's degree recipients.


CompSci Student Demographics at UPenn

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the compsci majors at University of Pennsylvania.

UPenn Computer Science Bachelor’s Program

50% Women
48% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 108 students earned a bachelor's degree in compsci from UPenn. About 50% of these graduates were women and the other 50% were men. The typical compsci bachelor's degree program is made up of only 23% women. So female students are more repesented at UPenn since its program graduates 27% more women than average.


Prospective students may be interested in knowing that this school graduates 13% more racial-ethnic minorities in its compsci bachelor's program than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Pennsylvania with a bachelor's in compsci.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 40
Black or African American 5
Hispanic or Latino 5
White 23
International Students 29
Other Races/Ethnicities 6

UPenn Computer Science Master’s Program

41% Women
16% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The compsci program at UPenn awarded 91 master's degrees in 2020-2021. About 59% of these degrees went to men with the other 41% going to women.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Pennsylvania with a master's in compsci.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 11
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 15
International Students 61
Other Races/Ethnicities 3

UPenn also has a doctoral program available in compsci. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That CompSci Grads May Go Into

A degree in compsci can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for PA, the home state for University of Pennsylvania.

Occupation Jobs in PA Average Salary in PA
Software Applications Developers 28,260 $96,370
Computer Workers 19,010 $87,040
Computer and Information Systems Managers 13,070 $146,860
Computer Programmers 8,990 $85,800
Systems Software Developers 8,810 $103,520


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.