Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Education at SUNY Oneonta

Find Schools Near

Education at SUNY Oneonta

If you plan to study education, take a look at what SUNY Oneonta has to offer and decide if the program is a good match for you. Get started with the following essential facts.

SUNY Oneonta is located in Oneonta, New York and has a total student population of 6,718. Of the 1,507 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from SUNY Oneonta in 2021, 211 of them were education majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Education section at the bottom of this page.

SUNY Oneonta Education Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Education
  • Master’s Degree in Education

Online Classes Are Available at SUNY Oneonta

If you are a working student or have a busy schedule, you may want to consider taking online classes. While these classes used to be mostly populated by returning adults, more and more traditional students are turning to this option.

SUNY Oneonta does offer online education options in education for the following degree levels for those interested in distance learning:

  • Master’s Degree

SUNY Oneonta Education Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the education progam at SUNY Oneonta compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The education major at SUNY Oneonta is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Education. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Education Bachelor’s Degree Schools 97
Most Popular Online Education Graduate Certificate Schools 146
Most Popular Online Education Schools 341
Most Focused Education Graduate Certificate Schools 347
Most Popular Education Graduate Certificate Schools 357
Best Value Education Master’s Degree Schools 533

In 2021, 188 students received their master’s degree in education from SUNY Oneonta. This makes it the #219 most popular school for education master’s degree candidates in the country.

Education Student Demographics at SUNY Oneonta

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the education majors at SUNY Oneonta.

SUNY Oneonta Education Bachelor’s Program

86% Women
11% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The education program at SUNY Oneonta awarded 211 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 14% of these degrees went to men with the other 86% going to women.


About 87% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in education at SUNY Oneonta are white. This is above average for this degree on the nationwide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from SUNY Oneonta with a bachelor's in education.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 5
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 15
White 184
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 6

SUNY Oneonta Education Master’s Program

90% Women
7% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 188 students earned a master's degree in education from SUNY Oneonta. About 90% of these graduates were women and the other 10% were men.


Of the students who received a education master's degree from SUNY Oneonta, 91% were white. This is above average for this degree on the natiowide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from SUNY Oneonta with a master's in education.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 2
Hispanic or Latino 7
White 172
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 6

SUNY Oneonta also has a doctoral program available in education. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Concentrations Within Education

If you plan to be a education major, you may want to focus your studies on one of the following concentrations. The completion numbers here include all graduates who receive any type of degree in this field from SUNY Oneonta. Some of these focus areas may not be available for your degree level.

Concentration Annual Degrees Awarded
Teacher Education Subject Specific 203
Teacher Education Grade Specific 146
Instructional Media Design 34
Special Education 12
Student Counseling 9
Multilingual Education 5

Careers That Education Grads May Go Into

A degree in education can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for NY, the home state for SUNY Oneonta.

Occupation Jobs in NY Average Salary in NY
Teacher Assistants 123,960 $31,330
Elementary School Teachers 82,590 $83,010
High School Teachers 74,830 $85,300
Middle School Teachers 39,950 $83,490
Self-Enrichment Education Teachers 31,840 $56,060


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.