Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Materials Sciences at Rochester Institute of Technology

Find Schools Near

Materials Sciences at Rochester Institute of Technology

If you are interested in studying materials sciences, you may want to check out the program at Rochester Institute of Technology. The following information will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

RIT is located in Rochester, New York and approximately 16,158 students attend the school each year.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Materials Sciences section at the bottom of this page.

RIT Materials Sciences Degrees Available

  • Master’s Degree in Materials Science

RIT Materials Sciences Rankings

Note: Although rankings can help you see some information about a school, it's not a good idea to depend on them alone. Be sure to check out other things about the school before making your decision to attend.

Materials Science Student Demographics at RIT

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the materials science majors at Rochester Institute of Technology.

RIT Materials Sciences Master’s Program

56% Women
11% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The materials science program at RIT awarded 18 master's degrees in 2020-2021. About 44% of these degrees went to men with the other 56% going to women.


Of the students who received a materials science master's degree from RIT, 89% were white. This is above average for this degree on the natiowide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Rochester Institute of Technology with a master's in materials science.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 16
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

Careers That Materials Science Grads May Go Into

A degree in materials science can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for NY, the home state for Rochester Institute of Technology.

Occupation Jobs in NY Average Salary in NY
Architectural and Engineering Managers 7,330 $161,670
Professors 6,440 $112,000
Chemists 3,360 $85,590
Engineering Professors 2,900 $127,010
Chemistry Professors 2,270 $102,260


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.