Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Journalism at Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Main Campus

Find Schools Near

Journalism at Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Main Campus

Every journalism school has its own distinct culture and strengths. We've pulled together some statistics and other details to help you see how the journalism program at Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Main Campus stacks up to those at other schools.

IUP is located in Indiana, Pennsylvania and approximately 10,037 students attend the school each year. In 2021, 21 journalism majors received their bachelor's degree from IUP.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Journalism section at the bottom of this page.

IUP Journalism Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism

IUP Journalism Rankings

The journalism major at IUP is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Journalism. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Earnings of IUP Journalism Graduates

The median salary of journalism students who receive their bachelor's degree at IUP is $32,651. This is 3% higher than $31,781, which is the national average for all journalism bachelor's degree recipients.


Journalism Student Demographics at IUP

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the journalism majors at Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Main Campus.

IUP Journalism Bachelor’s Program

95% Women
29% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The journalism program at IUP awarded 21 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 5% of these degrees went to men with the other 95% going to women.


About 67% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in journalism at IUP are white. This is above average for this degree on the nationwide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Main Campus with a bachelor's in journalism.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 4
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 14
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 2

IUP also has a doctoral program available in journalism. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Journalism Grads May Go Into

A degree in journalism can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for PA, the home state for Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Main Campus.

Occupation Jobs in PA Average Salary in PA
Editors 3,020 $62,870
Photographers 1,740 $34,790
Writers and Authors 1,400 $60,140
Reporters and Correspondents 1,330 $39,600
Communications Professors 1,280 $76,720


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.