Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Political Science & Government at George Washington University

Find Schools Near

Political Science & Government at George Washington University

Every political science and government school has its own distinct culture and strengths. We've pulled together some statistics and other details to help you see how the political science program at George Washington University stacks up to those at other schools.

GWU is located in Washington, District of Columbia and approximately 27,017 students attend the school each year. In 2021, 321 political science majors received their bachelor's degree from GWU.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Political Science & Government section at the bottom of this page.

GWU Political Science & Government Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science
  • Master’s Degree in Political Science
  • Doctorate Degree in Political Science

GWU Political Science & Government Rankings

The political science major at GWU is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Political Science & Government. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

In 2021, 173 students received their master’s degree in political science from GWU. This makes it the #1 most popular school for political science master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 8 students who received their doctoral degrees in political science, making the school the #23 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Earnings of GWU Political Science Graduates

The median salary of political science students who receive their bachelor's degree at GWU is $44,076. This is 33% higher than $33,089, which is the national average for all political science bachelor's degree recipients.


Political Science Student Demographics at GWU

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the political science majors at George Washington University.

GWU Political Science & Government Bachelor’s Program

52% Women
25% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The political science program at GWU awarded 321 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 48% of these degrees went to men with the other 52% going to women.


About 70% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in political science at GWU are white. This is above average for this degree on the nationwide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from George Washington University with a bachelor's in political science.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 24
Black or African American 14
Hispanic or Latino 35
White 224
International Students 9
Other Races/Ethnicities 15

GWU Political Science & Government Master’s Program

39% Women
23% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
During the 2020-2021 academic year, 173 political science majors earned their master's degree from GWU. Of these graduates, 61% were men and 39% were women.


Of the students who received a political science master's degree from GWU, 53% were white. This is typical for this degree on the natiowide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from George Washington University with a master's in political science.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 5
Black or African American 12
Hispanic or Latino 18
White 92
International Students 36
Other Races/Ethnicities 10

GWU also has a doctoral program available in political science. In 2021, 8 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Political Science Grads May Go Into

A degree in political science can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for DC, the home state for George Washington University.

Occupation Jobs in DC Average Salary in DC
Managers 19,910 $147,460
Economists 6,380 $134,260
Political Scientists 3,220 $120,610
Political Science Professors 1,160 $127,410
Economics Professors 230 $110,350


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.