Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Urban & Regional Planning at Columbia University in the City of New York

Find Schools Near

Urban & Regional Planning at Columbia University in the City of New York

If you plan to study urban and regional planning, take a look at what Columbia University in the City of New York has to offer and decide if the program is a good match for you. Get started with the following essential facts.

Columbia is located in New York, New York and approximately 30,135 students attend the school each year.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Urban & Regional Planning section at the bottom of this page.

Columbia Urban & Regional Planning Degrees Available

  • Master’s Degree in Urban Planning
  • Doctorate Degree in Urban Planning

Columbia Urban & Regional Planning Rankings

Note: Although rankings can help you see some information about a school, it's not a good idea to depend on them alone. Be sure to check out other things about the school before making your decision to attend.

There were 8 students who received their doctoral degrees in urban planning, making the school the #2 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Urban Planning Student Demographics at Columbia

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the urban planning majors at Columbia University in the City of New York.

Columbia Urban & Regional Planning Master’s Program

55% Women
19% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 42 students earned a master's degree in urban planning from Columbia. About 55% of these graduates were women and the other 45% were men.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Columbia University in the City of New York with a master's in urban planning.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 3
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 3
White 10
International Students 24
Other Races/Ethnicities 1

Careers That Urban Planning Grads May Go Into

A degree in urban planning can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for NY, the home state for Columbia University in the City of New York.

Occupation Jobs in NY Average Salary in NY
Architectural and Engineering Managers 7,330 $161,670
Social Sciences Professors 2,570 $101,250
Urban and Regional Planners 1,410 $76,730
Architecture Professors 970 $135,190


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.