Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Information Technology at Carnegie Mellon University

Find Schools Near

Information Technology at Carnegie Mellon University

What traits are you looking for in a IT school? To help you decide if Carnegie Mellon University is right for you, we've gathered the following information about the school's IT program.

Carnegie Mellon is located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and approximately 14,029 students attend the school each year. Of the 1,848 student who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from Carnegie Mellon University in 2,019, 1 of them were information technology majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Information Technology section at the bottom of this page.

Carnegie Mellon Information Technology Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in IT
  • Master’s Degree in IT

Carnegie Mellon Information Technology Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the IT progam at Carnegie Mellon compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The IT major at Carnegie Mellon is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Information Technology. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Information Technology Bachelor’s Degree Schools 4
Most Focused Information Technology Doctor’s Degree Schools 6
Most Popular Information Technology Master’s Degree Schools 9
Most Popular Information Technology Schools 54

In 2019, 113 students received their master’s degree in IT from Carnegie Mellon. This makes it the #9 most popular school for IT master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 0 student who received their doctoral degrees in IT, making the school the #6 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

IT Student Demographics at Carnegie Mellon

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the IT majors at Carnegie Mellon University.

Carnegie Mellon Information Technology Bachelor’s Program

100% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
For the most recent academic year available, 100% of IT bachelor's degrees went to men and 0% went to women.

Carnegie Mellon Gender Breakdown of Information Technology Bachelor's Degree Grads

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Carnegie Mellon University with a bachelor's in IT.

Racial-Ethnic Diversity of Information Technology Majors at Carnegie Mellon University
Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 0
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

Carnegie Mellon Information Technology Master’s Program

40% Women
19% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The IT program at Carnegie Mellon awarded 113 master's degrees in 2018-2019. About 60% of these degrees went to men with the other 40% going to women.

Carnegie Mellon Gender Breakdown of Information Technology Master's Degree Grads

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Carnegie Mellon University with a master's in IT.

Racial-Ethnic Diversity of Information Technology Majors at Carnegie Mellon University
Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 13
Black or African American 4
Hispanic or Latino 4
White 25
International Students 61
Other Races/Ethnicities 6

Carnegie Mellon also has a doctoral program available in IT. In 2019, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That IT Grads May Go Into

A degree in IT can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for PA, the home state for Carnegie Mellon University.

Occupation Jobs in PA Average Salary in PA
Computer User Support Specialists 22,790 $52,370
Computer Workers 19,010 $87,040
Computer and Information Systems Managers 13,070 $146,860
Network and Computer Systems Administrators 12,760 $77,700
Managers 11,060 $126,290

References

*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.