Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Journalism at American University

Find Schools Near

Journalism at American University

If you plan to study journalism, take a look at what American University has to offer and decide if the program is a good match for you. Get started with the following essential facts.

The American University is located in Washington, District of Columbia and approximately 14,001 students attend the school each year. Of the 2,109 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from American University in 2021, 65 of them were journalism majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Journalism section at the bottom of this page.

The American University Journalism Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism
  • Master’s Degree in Journalism

The American University Journalism Rankings

Each year, College Factual ranks journalism programs across the country. The following shows how The American University performed in these rankings.

Note: While rankings may be a good starting point when you're researching a school, they don't necessarily highlight all of a school's strengths. Don't forget to check out the other details that are available for a school to see if it has what you're looking for in a program.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The journalism major at The American University is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Journalism. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Journalism Master’s Degree Schools 10
Most Popular Journalism Schools 37

In 2021, 33 students received their master’s degree in journalism from The American University. This makes it the #10 most popular school for journalism master’s degree candidates in the country.

Earnings of The American University Journalism Graduates

The median salary of journalism students who receive their bachelor's degree at The American University is $40,534. This is 28% higher than $31,781, which is the national average for all journalism bachelor's degree recipients.


Journalism Student Demographics at The American University

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the journalism majors at American University.

The American University Journalism Bachelor’s Program

72% Women
32% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The journalism program at The American University awarded 65 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 28% of these degrees went to men with the other 72% going to women.


About 62% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in journalism at The American University are white. This is typical for this degree on the nationwide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from American University with a bachelor's in journalism.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 2
Black or African American 7
Hispanic or Latino 11
White 40
International Students 2
Other Races/Ethnicities 3

The American University Journalism Master’s Program

70% Women
21% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 33 students earned a master's degree in journalism from The American University. About 70% of these graduates were women and the other 30% were men.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from American University with a master's in journalism.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 5
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 12
International Students 2
Other Races/Ethnicities 13

The American University also has a doctoral program available in journalism. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Journalism Grads May Go Into

A degree in journalism can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for DC, the home state for American University.

Occupation Jobs in DC Average Salary in DC
Editors 3,330 $89,710
Reporters and Correspondents 1,610 $100,550
Writers and Authors 1,250 $101,690
Photographers 420 $82,840
Radio and Television Announcers 320 $85,030


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.