What Does it Take to Be a Sustainability Specialist?
Career Description Address organizational sustainability issues, such as waste stream management, green building practices, and green procurement plans.
What Do Sustainability Specialists Do On a Daily Basis?
- Review and revise sustainability proposals or policies.
- Assess or propose sustainability initiatives, considering factors such as cost effectiveness, technical feasibility, and acceptance.
- Monitor or track sustainability indicators, such as energy usage, natural resource usage, waste generation, and recycling.
- Identify or create new sustainability indicators.
- Create or maintain plans or other documents related to sustainability projects.
- Identify or investigate violations of natural resources, waste management, recycling, or other environmental policies.
Qualities of a Sustainability Specialist
These are the skills Sustainability Specialists say are the most useful in their careers:
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Other Sustainability Specialist Job Titles
- Sustainability Analyst
- Chief Specialist, LEED (Chief Specialist, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)
- Sustainability Consultant
- Energy Analyst
- Sustainability Officer
Sustainability Specialist Employment Estimates
In the United States, there were 1,023,900 jobs for Sustainability Specialist in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 8.8% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 90,400 new jobs for Sustainability Specialist by 2026. There will be an estimated 104,200 positions for Sustainability Specialist per year.
The states with the most job growth for Sustainability Specialist are Utah, Nevada, and Arkansas. Watch out if you plan on working in Alaska, Maine, or Oklahoma. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Sustainability Specialist Salary
Sustainability Specialists make between $38,420 and $123,000 a year.
Sustainability Specialists who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia, make the highest salaries.
How much do Sustainability Specialists make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$102,730|
Tools & Technologies Used by Sustainability Specialists
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Sustainability Specialists:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Word processing software
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Microsoft Visio
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Structured query language SQL
- Microsoft Publisher
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Extensible markup language XML
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
Becoming a Sustainability Specialist
Are there Sustainability Specialists education requirements?
How many years of work experience do I need?
Who Employs Sustainability Specialists?
The table below shows the approximate number of Sustainability Specialists employed by various industries.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|