All About Sustainability Specialists
Example of Sustainability Specialist Job Address organizational sustainability issues, such as waste stream management, green building practices, and green procurement plans.
Daily Life Of a Sustainability Specialist
- Monitor or track sustainability indicators, such as energy usage, natural resource usage, waste generation, and recycling.
- Create marketing or outreach media, such as brochures or Web sites, to communicate sustainability issues, procedures, or objectives.
- Develop sustainability project goals, objectives, initiatives, or strategies in collaboration with other sustainability professionals.
- Review and revise sustainability proposals or policies.
- Identify or create new sustainability indicators.
- Create or maintain plans or other documents related to sustainability projects.
Sustainability Specialist Required Skills
Below is a list of the skills most Sustainability Specialists say are important on the job.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Types of Sustainability Specialist
- Lead Sustainability Specialist
- Sustainability Consultant
- Senior Sustainability Consultant
- Energy Analyst
- Continuous Improvement Sustainability Leader
Is There Going to be Demand for Sustainability Specialists?
There were about 1,023,900 jobs for Sustainability Specialist in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 8.8% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 90,400 new jobs for Sustainability Specialist by 2026. The BLS estimates 104,200 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Sustainability Specialist are Utah, Nevada, and Arkansas. Watch out if you plan on working in Alaska, Maine, or Oklahoma. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
What is the Average Salary of a Sustainability Specialist
Sustainability Specialists make between $38,420 and $123,000 a year.
Sustainability Specialists who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Sustainability Specialists in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$102,730|
Tools & Technologies Used by Sustainability Specialists
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Sustainability Specialists:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Word processing software
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Microsoft Visio
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Structured query language SQL
- Microsoft Publisher
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Extensible markup language XML
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
Becoming a Sustainability Specialist
Are there Sustainability Specialists education requirements?
What work experience do I need to become a Sustainability Specialist?
Where do Sustainability Specialists Work?
Sustainability Specialists work in the following industries:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|