All About Sustainability Specialists
Sustainability Specialist Example Address organizational sustainability issues, such as waste stream management, green building practices, and green procurement plans.
What Do Sustainability Specialists Do On a Daily Basis?
- Create marketing or outreach media, such as brochures or Web sites, to communicate sustainability issues, procedures, or objectives.
- Provide technical or administrative support for sustainability programs or issues.
- Identify or procure needed resources to implement sustainability programs or projects.
- Assess or propose sustainability initiatives, considering factors such as cost effectiveness, technical feasibility, and acceptance.
- Identify or create new sustainability indicators.
- Research or review regulatory, technical, or market issues related to sustainability.
Sustainability Specialist Skills
These are the skills Sustainability Specialists say are the most useful in their careers:
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Related Job Titles for this Occupation:
- Sustainability Specialist
- Sustainability Coordinator
- CEO/LEED Ap, O & M, Director of Sustainability (Chief Environmental Officer/Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Applications, Operations and Management, Director of Sustainability)
- Senior Sustainability Consultant
- Sustainability Project Analyst
Are There Job Opportunities for Sustainability Specialists?
In the United States, there were 1,023,900 jobs for Sustainability Specialist in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 8.8% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 90,400 new jobs for Sustainability Specialist by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 104,200 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Sustainability Specialist are Utah, Nevada, and Arkansas. Watch out if you plan on working in Alaska, Maine, or Oklahoma. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Salary for a Sustainability Specialist
The salary for Sustainability Specialists ranges between about $38,420 and $123,000 a year.
Sustainability Specialists who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia, make the highest salaries.
How much do Sustainability Specialists make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$102,730|
Tools & Technologies Used by Sustainability Specialists
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Sustainability Specialists may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Word processing software
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Microsoft Visio
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Structured query language SQL
- Microsoft Publisher
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Extensible markup language XML
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
How do I Become a Sustainability Specialist?
Learn what Sustainability Specialist education requirements there are.
How Long Does it Take to Become a Sustainability Specialist?
Where do Sustainability Specialists Work?
The table below shows the approximate number of Sustainability Specialists employed by various industries.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|