What Does it Take to Be a Mathematical Science Professor?
Job Description & Duties Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
Daily Life Of a Mathematical Science Professor
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in books, professional journals, or electronic media.
- Keep abreast of developments and technological advances in the mathematical field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction.
- Participate in campus and community events.
Mathematical Science Professor Required Skills
Mathematical Science Professors state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Instructing: Teaching others how to do something.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Types of Mathematical Science Professor Jobs
- Adjunct Instructor
- Statistical Methods Professor
- Biostatistics Teacher
- Calculus Teacher
- Topology Teacher
Job Demand for Mathematical Science Professors
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 60,900 jobs in the United States for Mathematical Science Professor. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 9.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 5,700 new jobs for Mathematical Science Professor by 2026. The BLS estimates 5,300 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Mathematical Science Professor are Utah, Colorado, and Nevada. Watch out if you plan on working in Vermont, Wyoming, or Montana. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Do Mathematical Science Professors Make A Lot Of Money?
Mathematical Science Professors make between $39,970 and $158,360 a year.
Mathematical Science Professors who work in California, Rhode Island, or Alaska, make the highest salaries.
How much do Mathematical Science Professors make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$113,120|
What Tools & Technology do Mathematical Science Professors Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Mathematical Science Professors:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Data entry software
- Email software
- Structured query language SQL
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- Google Docs
- Calendar and scheduling software
- Blackboard Learn
- Learning management system LMS
- Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications VBA
- Course management system software
How to Become a Mathematical Science Professor
Individuals working as a Mathematical Science Professor have obtained the following education levels:
How Long Does it Take to Become a Mathematical Science Professor?
Where do Mathematical Science Professors Work?
The table below shows the approximate number of Mathematical Science Professors employed by various industries.
Other Jobs You May be Interested In
Those interested in being a Mathematical Science Professor may also be interested in:
Are you already one of the many Mathematical Science Professor in the United States? If you’re thinking about changing careers, these fields are worth exploring:
More about our data sources and methodologies.