What Do Mapping Technician Do?
Mapping Technician Job Description Calculate mapmaking information from field notes, and draw and verify accuracy of topographical maps.
Mapping Technician Responsibilities
- Calculate latitudes, longitudes, angles, areas, or other information for mapmaking, using survey field notes or reference tables.
- Identify, research, and resolve anomalies in legal land descriptions, referring issues to title or survey experts as appropriate.
- Lay out and match aerial photographs in sequences in which they were taken and identify any areas missing from photographs.
- Determine scales, line sizes, or colors to be used for hard copies of computerized maps, using plotters.
- Analyze aerial photographs to detect and interpret significant military, industrial, resource, or topographical data.
- Check all layers of maps to ensure accuracy, identifying and marking errors and making corrections.
Qualities of a Mapping Technician
When polled, Mapping Technicians say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Other Mapping Technician Job Titles
- Mapping Supervisor
- Mapping Specialist
- Cartographic Drafter
- Technical Illustrations Map Inker
- Cartography/Mapping Technician
Job Opportunities for Mapping Technicians
In the United States, there were 60,200 jobs for Mapping Technician in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 10.6% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 6,400 new jobs for Mapping Technician by 2026. There will be an estimated 7,200 positions for Mapping Technician per year.
The states with the most job growth for Mapping Technician are North Dakota, Utah, and Texas. Watch out if you plan on working in Alaska, Maine, or Washington. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Mapping Technician Salary
Mapping Technicians make between $27,360 and $74,110 a year.
Mapping Technicians who work in California, Alaska, or Massachusetts, make the highest salaries.
How much do Mapping Technicians make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
Tools & Technologies Used by Mapping Technicians
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Mapping Technicians:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- Hypertext markup language HTML
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Microsoft Visio
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Database software
- Structured query language SQL
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Geographic information system GIS software
- Computer aided design CAD software
- Graphics software
- Bentley MicroStation
- ESRI ArcView
How do I Become a Mapping Technician?
Are there Mapping Technicians education requirements?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Mapping Technician?
Where do Mapping Technicians Work?
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
You May Also Be Interested In…
Those interested in being a Mapping Technician may also be interested in:
Career changers with experience as a Mapping Technician sometimes find work in one of the following fields:
Image Credit: Mike1979 Russia via Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|