What is a Computer Hardware Engineer?
Computer Hardware Engineer Example Research, design, develop, or test computer or computer-related equipment for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use. May supervise the manufacturing and installation of computer or computer-related equipment and components.
List of Computer Hardware Engineer Job Duties
- Direct technicians, engineering designers or other technical support personnel as needed.
- Analyze information to determine, recommend, and plan layout, including type of computers and peripheral equipment modifications.
- Monitor functioning of equipment and make necessary modifications to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
- Provide technical support to designers, marketing and sales departments, suppliers, engineers and other team members throughout the product development and implementation process.
- Assemble and modify existing pieces of equipment to meet special needs.
- Design and develop computer hardware and support peripherals, including central processing units (CPUs), support logic, microprocessors, custom integrated circuits, and printers and disk drives.
Things a Computer Hardware Engineer Should Know How to Do
Computer Hardware Engineers state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Related Job Titles
- Hardware Design Engineer
- Electronics Engineer
- Systems Integration Engineer
- Computer Designer
Job Opportunities for Computer Hardware Engineers
There were about 73,600 jobs for Computer Hardware Engineer in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 5.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 4,000 new jobs for Computer Hardware Engineer by 2026. The BLS estimates 5,100 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Computer Hardware Engineer are North Dakota, Tennessee, and Washington. Watch out if you plan on working in Minnesota, Idaho, or Oklahoma. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Computer Hardware Engineer Average Salary
The typical yearly salary for Computer Hardware Engineers is somewhere between $66,700 and $172,630.
Computer Hardware Engineers who work in California, District of Columbia, or Maryland, make the highest salaries.
How much do Computer Hardware Engineers make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$126,770|
What Tools & Technology do Computer Hardware Engineers Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Computer Hardware Engineers may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Data entry software
- Word processing software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Spreadsheet software
- Microsoft Visio
- Database software
- Structured query language SQL
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- Computer aided design CAD software
- National Instruments LabVIEW
Becoming a Computer Hardware Engineer
Education needed to be a Computer Hardware Engineer:
How Long Does it Take to Become a Computer Hardware Engineer?
Where do Computer Hardware Engineers Work?
The table below shows the approximate number of Computer Hardware Engineers employed by various industries.
Those thinking about becoming a Computer Hardware Engineer might also be interested in the following careers:
Those who work as a Computer Hardware Engineer sometimes switch careers to one of these choices:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|