What is an Anesthesiologist Assistant?
Career Description Assist anesthesiologists in the administration of anesthesia for surgical and non-surgical procedures. Monitor patient status and provide patient care during surgical treatment.
Daily Life Of an Anesthesiologist Assistant
- Participate in seminars, workshops, or other professional activities to keep abreast of developments in anesthesiology.
- Respond to emergency situations by providing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), basic cardiac life support (BLS), advanced cardiac life support (ACLS), or pediatric advanced life support (PALS).
- Assist in the application of monitoring techniques, such as pulmonary artery catheterization, electroencephalographic spectral analysis, echocardiography, or evoked potentials.
- Collect and document patients' pre-anesthetic health histories.
- Collect samples or specimens for diagnostic testing.
- Provide airway management interventions including tracheal intubation, fiber optics, or ventilary support.
Things an Anesthesiologist Assistant Should Know How to Do
When polled, Anesthesiologist Assistants say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Monitoring: Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Types of Anesthesiologist Assistant Jobs
- Anesthesiologists' Assistant
- Oral Surgery Assistant-Clinical Coordinator
- Certified Anesthesiologist Assistant
- Anesthesia Assistant
- Certified Anesthesia Technician and Technologist
Job Demand for Anesthesiologist Assistants
In the United States, there were 106,200 jobs for Anesthesiologist Assistant in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 37.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 39,700 new jobs for Anesthesiologist Assistant by 2026. The BLS estimates 10,600 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Anesthesiologist Assistant are Arizona, Utah, and Florida. Watch out if you plan on working in Rhode Island, Mississippi, or Alaska. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
What is the Average Salary of an Anesthesiologist Assistant
The average yearly salary of an Anesthesiologist Assistant ranges between $69,120 and $151,850.
Anesthesiologist Assistants who work in Connecticut, Washington, or Alaska, make the highest salaries.
How much do Anesthesiologist Assistants make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$114,740|
What Tools & Technology do Anesthesiologist Assistants Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Anesthesiologist Assistants may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Email software
- Word processing software
- Bizmatics PrognoCIS EMR
- Greenway Medical Technologies PrimeSUITE
- GalacTek ECLIPSE
- IOS Health Systems Medios EHR
- Cerner PowerWorks Practice Management
- Epic Practice Management
- GE Healthcare Centricity Practice Solution
- CareCloud Central
- Benchmark Systems Benchmark Clinical EHR
- HealthFusion MediTouch
- Automatic Data Processing AdvancedMD EHR
- Kareo Practice Management
- McKesson Practice Plus
- Modernizing Medicine Practice Management
- NextGen Healthcare NextGen Practice Management
Becoming an Anesthesiologist Assistant
Learn what Anesthesiologist Assistant education requirements there are.
How many years of work experience do I need?
Where do Anesthesiologist Assistants Work?
Below are examples of industries where Anesthesiologist Assistants work:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|