Pastoral Specialized Ministries
Types of Degrees Pastoral Specialized Ministries Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many pastoral counseling and specialized ministries graduations there were in 2017-2018 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Pastoral Specialized Ministries Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to pastoral counseling were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Pastoral Counseling Majors
Pastoral Counseling majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Philosophy and Theology - Knowledge of different philosophical systems and religions. This includes their basic principles, values, ethics, ways of thinking, customs, practices, and their impact on human culture.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
Skills for Pastoral Counseling Majors
A major in pastoral counseling prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Abilities for Pastoral Counseling Majors
As you progress with your pastoral counseling degree, there are several abilities you should pick up that will help you in whatever related career you choose. These abilities include:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
What Can You Do With a Pastoral Specialized Ministries Major?
People with a pastoral counseling degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Directors, Religious Activities and Education||7.1%||$40,810|
|Philosophy and Religion Professors||12.3%||$71,890|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Pastoral Specialized Ministries?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of pastoral counseling majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||83|
|Hispanic or Latino||117|
Pastoral Counseling appeals to people across the globe. About 2.0% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- South Korea
How Much Do Pastoral Specialized Ministries Majors Make?
Bachelor’s Degree Starting Salary
The U.S. Department of Education found that students who graduated in 2015-2017 with a bachelor’s degree in pastoral counseling and specialized ministries made a median starting salary of $24,800 per year. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $23,350 (25th percentile) and $26,475 (75th percentile).
We don’t know for sure if all of these people took jobs related to pastoral counseling so take that into consideration.
Salaries According to BLS
Average salaries range from $35,860 to $53,290 (25th to 75th percentile) for careers related to pastoral counseling. This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Pastoral Specialized Ministries
Some degrees associated with pastoral counseling may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to pastoral counseling have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||0.3%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||2.1%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||0.2%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||2.8%|
|Post-Master’s Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Master’s degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees at the doctoral level.||0.2%|
|First Professional Degree - awarded for completion of a program that: requires at least 2 years of college work before entrance into the program, includes a total of at least 6 academic years of work to complete, and provides all remaining academic requirements to begin practice in a profession.||0.1%|
Online Pastoral Specialized Ministries Programs
In 2017-2018, 273 schools offered a pastoral counseling program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||22||8|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||14||5|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||7||3|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||19||5|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||8||1|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||13||2|
Is a Degree in Pastoral Specialized Ministries Worth It?
The median salary for a pastoral counseling grad is $46,980 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 18% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $141,600 after 20 years!
Majors Related to Pastoral Specialized Ministries
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to pastoral counseling.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Theological & Ministerial Studies||18,745|
|Theology & Religious Vocations (Other)||1,378|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Chief Master Sgt. Raymond Sarracino under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
Featured Philosophy and Religious Studies Schools
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|