General Science Technologies
Types of Degrees General Science Technologies Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many general science technologies/technicians graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What General Science Technologies Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, science tech majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Science Tech Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
Skills for Science Tech Majors
A major in science tech prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Abilities for Science Tech Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a science tech student include the following:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
What Can You Do With a General Science Technologies Major?
People with a science tech degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Precision Agriculture Technicians||9.7%||$49,670|
|Quality Control Analysts||9.7%||$49,670|
|Remote Sensing Technicians||9.7%||$49,670|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in General Science Technologies?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of science tech majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||18|
|Hispanic or Latino||13|
Students from other countries are interested in Science Tech, too. About 1.0% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
How Much Do General Science Technologies Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
The median salary for someone in a career related to science tech is $52,940. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to General Science Technologies
Some degrees associated with science tech may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to science tech have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||0.8%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||13.3%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||3.4%|
|Some College Courses||11.2%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||10.2%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||3.8%|
Online General Science Technologies Programs
In 2018-2019, 15 schools offered a science tech program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||1||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||2||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in General Science Technologies Worth It?
The median salary for a science tech grad is $52,940 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 33% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $260,800 after 20 years!
Top Ranking Lists for General Science Technologies
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to General Science Technologies
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to science tech.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Physical Science Technicians||3,562|
|Other Science Technologies/Technicians||2,627|
|Biology & Biotech Lab Technician||738|
|Nuclear & Radiological Technicians||345|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Chrissy Cuttita, 45th Space Wing Public Affairs under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|