Mechanics & Repairers
Types of Degrees Mechanics & Repairers Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many mechanics and repairers graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Mechanics & Repairers Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to mechanical repair were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Mechanical Repair Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Skills for Mechanical Repair Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to mechanical repair:
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Online Mechanics & Repairers Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 25 schools offered some type of mechanics and repairers program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||5||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||9||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Majors Related to Mechanics & Repairers
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to mechanical repair.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Vehicle Maintenance & Repair||66,005|
|Heating, Air Conditioning, Ventilation & Refrigeration||19,885|
|Electronics Maintenance & Repair||9,325|
|Heavy/Industrial Equipment Maintenance||8,889|
|Precision Systems Maintenance||1,816|
|Mechanic & Repair Tech (Other)||1,017|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Alfred Palmer under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|